Another use for an angle grinder

We have a giant (6ft high) phormium (new zealand plant with long spiky leaves) in our front garden. It died in last winters frost. The dead leaves are a pig to cut through because they are very tough and fibrous. Tried secateurs, saw, spade etc. As a last resort I tried my angle grinder, worked great, finished the job in a short time.

Reply to
chudford

You need a chainsaw.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

We call phormium tenax flax, although it's not in the genus linum.

Reply to
Gib Bogle

That's what I used to cut off our dead phormiums.

Irritatingly, the ones I didn't dig up are now regrowing.

Reply to
Huge

The Gardeners' Question Time solution for re-growth a few weeks ago was to cut them down to about a metre from the ground.

Reply to
Peter Johnson

I thought they were dead, dead, dead and cut them off at ground level. The two I haven't got round to digging up are now putting up shoots. TBH, I'm not that bothered, since they were ugly bloody things anyway.

Reply to
Huge

The angle grinder ?

Adrian