Another Sky-DIY Question

My comment on "Why?" was intended in jest. Anyone who has children doing GCSEs or A/AS levels in European languages should sit them down in front of the target language for an hour or two each week until the exams in the summer. It REALLY WILL make a difference. News broadcasts are particularly useful at A level, when considering the topics for the oral component.

I work in the modern languages dept. at a school, and the teachers are convinced of the benefit to the pupils.

Reply to
Andrew Chesters

Strange that. I was an 'Army brat' in the 60's. Dragged from pillar to post throughout various countries, one of which was Germany.

There, I spent 3 happy years, but living in Munster (can't find an umlaut) I never managed to learn the Associated Examining Board's definition of 'German'. I was more than able to communicate with the natives, but apparently when I returned to Britain & sat the AEB's GCE.'O' level, my lingual skills were comparable with a Glaswegian from Easter house/Glasgow trying to converse with a London East ender!

Even stranger though, I did manage to gain a BA hon's (Cambs) reading Linguistics 20 yrs later ;-))

Don.

Reply to
Don Spumey

I wasn't aware it was easy to see geo-stationary ones, they *are* a long way away, but the lower flying ones (comms/surveillance) can be, the iridium ones are famous for it.

I think dawn and dusk are good times because the sky has plenty of contrast, and the sun glints at an angle from over the horizon onto the solar or antenna panels, there are programs to predict where/when to look depending on your location.

see

Andy Burns

What version of windows? When properly set up in winXP it's easy

+" followed by vowel :-)

Getting winXP properly setup isn't so easy and is likely to involve a reboot :-(

control panel, regional & language options, languages tab, text services and input languages, details

settings tab, installed services, English (United Kingdom), keyboard, United Kingdom Extended

advanced tab, compatibility configuration, extend support of advanced text services to all programs ticked.

Reply to
Andy Burns

XP Pro,

.......I'm still tired from Xmas...so something needs a reboot :-)

Don.

Reply to
Don Spumey

Same here, well actually not so much tired, just body clock out of kilter with the working day :-(

Reply to
Andy Burns

This is a site that shows a few photos of sunlight reflecting off the full array of a satellite's equiptment:

| And it's about another 3 months before the sun is more or

The sun moves north and south once an year. The height that it reaches at noon each day increases and decreases by 47 degrees over this year. But the moon does it every month. However if you know what stars to look for and can find the navigation ones you can do the same thing any clear night.

The moon moves really fast between the latitudes 10 degrees either side of the equator some 5 or six degrees each day:

it's declination on the 15th of the 10th month with the sun's dec. for October. Catch the moon early on the 14th of Jan this year. About 7:30 am.

Reply to
Michael Mcneil

TheScullster formulated the question :

I don't know about the card, but the dish installation is not that difficult. A length of wood and a compass placed across the dish of a neighbours working installation will give you a fairly accurate aiming direction. A level and a tape measure will allow you to work (from the same dish) the vertical angle.

Bolt it on an appropriate wall and adjust to above measurements. Height is not important, all the dish needs is a clear view of the appropriate bit of sky. The Sky box menu system includes a signal meter, which will allow you to fine tune the dish settings. The meter is a little slow to respond to adjustments, so some patience will be required as well as some means to relay what is happening on the screen..... Pair of PMR radios, DECT phones, or a TV visible from where the dish is to be fitted.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

It was somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Dave Liquorice" saying something like:

Sky won't care, because a digibox in use (even if just Freestuff) is a potential paying customer.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

It was somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Colin Irvine saying something like:

Much less, I would hope. :)

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

?P28A62B2AEnd of Feb begining of March roughly.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice