Another question thanks

about the soil pipe running off the toilet.

I just had a phone call and couldn't give the bloke a definate answer to this...

He's about to buy a 2 bedroom house and has plans to construct a 3rd bedroom over the elongated kitchen should the deal go through,anyway he asked me is it against regs to have the soil pipe running down the wall inside the kitchen area even though its boxed in?the stack is as per normal outside the toilet and upto the roof as this is how its situated now and wants to contact the vendor over it.

I said it mightwell be as should the pipe burst in the boxed cavity it could severly cause a nasty smell not to mention seeping through the cavity wall or floor and that sure wouldnt be nice.

Thanks.

Reply to
George

I am fairly sure its legal.

Soil stacks seldom burst

Unless as I was once informed, its a 30 storey concrete and steel luxury (until the shit pops out) hotel in the tropics, with no way to allow for expansion..these days we have rubber joints for just such a reason. :-)

The rules around soil stacks apply to

-venting

-diameter

-fall

-rodding access

Provided these are met, siting is not under building control

All mine are internal, as it happens.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Don't know about the current regs but that's the way it was done in our previous house. It was built in the late 1960's along with a few thousand similar ones in the same town. Never had any problem with it.

Reply to
Mike Clarke

Nothing wrong with that at all provided all joints are airtight. All building regs allow it. In fact it is encouraged. Only time a soil pipe could possibly be burst was if it was full of water and someone applied pressure, (which would probably relieve via the WC Pan in any case)

Reminds me of the time, when 'I were a lad' as a plumbing apprentice, one of the 'journeymen' as they were called then, decided to find a leak in a soil pipe by filling it with Acetylene from the blow torch and testing for the leak with a match. He found the leak and a very quick way to the local hospital.

Reply to
Merryterry

The message from Mike Clarke contains these words:

I doubt the kitchen makes a difference but can't be sure. However I am almost positive that for quite a long period (now ended) it was a building regs requirement that the soil pipe be within the building, not outside.

Reply to
Roger

My soil stack runs down the inside kitchen wall in a plasterboard box.

Reply to
EricP

Our last house had the conventional 1930 cast iron stack on the back wall. When we wanted to build an kitchen extension the stack was replaced with plastic, and boxed in within the kitchen. Only comments/requirements from the Buildings Inspector: He tested the new plastic work himself before signing it off. He wanted rodding access near the base of the new stack, with permanent access - so a screwed access panel in the boxing in was provided. Otherwise no particular requirements, and no problem with its location.

The replacement plastic stack does make it easier to add other feeds into the stack, and in a kitchen this can include sink and dishwasher wastes etc, subject to the usual regs about how you connect.

One thing I would suggest for a stack in a living area or kitchen - fill the boxing in with rockwool or similar - makes the upstairs activities a little less obvious!

Charles F

Reply to
CJF