Another Plastering Question

We are having a new kitchen and instead of tiles we are having granite upstands and painted walls.

My husband has removed the old tiles from the plasterboard and he is left with tile cement ridges all the way around the room. He has tried to remove them but then the plasterboard is damaged.

The plasterer who came said that the wall doesn't need skimming but that we should concentrate on removing all of the tile cement and filling the damaged sections. (Not sure how long this would take as a three six inch tile section took over an hour and we have all four walls tiled)

The kitchen surveyor says that as we are not having the walls re-tiled we need to get the walls skimmed (both the surveyor and plasterer have looked at the walls.)

I am totally in the dark as I have never had a new kitchen and my husband is loathed to carry on trying to remove all of the cement because of the resulting plasterboard damage.

Does anyone have any experience of this - i.e. have you had a wall skimmed after removing tiles and if so did you have to remove all of the tile cement first?

Thanks

Reply to
rition

[19 lines snipped]

Yes. No.

In one case the plasterer removed the plasterboard & replaced it. In another he skimmed over the remains and in the third, he "just" stuck plasterboard over the unwanted tiles and skimmed that.

Reply to
Huge

If the damage is small you can fill. If its a mess you'll need a skim, which is a new finish coat all over.

You /can/ skim over tile cement as far as Im aware, but its better to remove it, easier job. For tile removal try a powered chisel, takes em off in seconds, and ditto the cement. SDS plus chisel, or Ferm multisander with scraping bit.

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

Plasterboard is about £4 for a large sheet, and you can fill the joins in with a hand tool in a couple of hours.

Reply to
EricP

Thanks for your help, all sorted now

Reply to