another go with skull cleaning

I sent this several days ago but it doesn't seem to have got through, so here goes again.

I picked up a large roadkill roe deer a couple of years ago. I butchered it and froze the meat, and buried the skull with its antlers sticking up in my garden since it was a hot summer and the head was getting niffy after a couple of days.

I dug the skull up last week and it's perfectly cleaned and odourless, but what would be the best thing to turn the skull white, since it is a rather browny-yellow colour? I would like to bleach it and then wire on the jaw, since all the bits are intact. But I'm not sure if bleach would be the best thing to use or if it would damage the skull. Does anyone have any other ideas about how to do this?

someone

Reply to
someone

it got through alright, and recieved 9 replies

Reply to
Phil L

Do you mean your posting on the 7/3 at 21:35 that has had nine responses so far?

peter

Reply to
Peter Andrews

Suggest you view through something like Google:

(Google may not be good for posting but it is very useful for checking if posts have got through.)

Reply to
Rod

To Peter, Phil and Rod,

I didn't see my original message or any replies at all and, checking via View > Current View > untick Group Messages by Conversation, I could see that, according to my View, this posting of mine wasn't shown, although I could see other posting I had made in the past.

Thanks to Rod for the helpful hint about Google, I'll go and read the replies to my message. Maybe it's time I got a real newsreader.

someone

Reply to
someone

X-News is as good as any, but I have to say that the newsreader section of good old OE has never actually given me any problem either reading or posting to non-binary groups like this one. Apart from being able to access Usenet - allbeit indirectly - from any computer, I've never really understood why some people prefer to go down the Google groups route. Is it because they stumble across Usenet whilst Googling, and never figure that there's a way to access the groups directly via their ISP's ? I guess all ISPs have dedicated news servers, do they ? Even if not, there are plenty of 'open' servers out there that you can get on. I used to use one years ago, when the ISP that I was with at the time, had a very slow news server, which did not carry anything like the full raft of groups available, and was slow to update. I found several sites on the 'net at the time, that listed these 'open' servers. Occasionally, the 'back door' by which you were making use of a particular server would be closed, but then it was just a case of finding another, and jumping on that one instead.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

I liked xnews but had more and more silly problems (e.g. with characters not being interpreted properly) and no apparent maintenance, let alone development. So I jumped ship to Thunderbird. I do miss proper cross- and multi-post handling.

Reply to
Rod

No, news servers need, even by todays standards, fairly large storage even for a week or two and gobble bandwidth like it's going out of fashion, think terra bytes/day and that's just for the text based groups. From a commercial ISP's point of view it is expensive in hardware and bandwidth for something they can't easily raise revenue from.

Aye a very popular, fast, reliable and well spam filtered one is news.individual.net. It's not free, E10/year, but well worth the money IMHO.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Commercially they clean bones/skulls by soaking in causting soda for 6 months, followed by bleach.

Reply to
Ian_m

"bleach" being hydrogen peroxide rather than the household variety. There is a chemical reaction with the caustic, although any alkali will do.

Reply to
Stuart Noble