Another expansion vessel question

We have a mains pressure HW tank and recently our expansion vessel failed leading to overflowing during heating cycles.

The vessel is mounted about the HW cylinder with the inlet/outlet facing downwards.

When it was removed, it was full of *very* dirty brown water. I suspect our mains supply has been contaminated for some time as evidenced by brown staining in our shower and occasional bursts of brown water through our taps. A very big pipeburst near us may have been the source of much of the contamination (or rather, evidence of a long term cracked water mains).

Anyhow, what I'm curious about is how so much dirt got concentrated in an expansion vessel mounted above (and facing downwards towards) our HW tank?

Our HW is currently running pretty clear but I'm wondering just how much silt there might be in our HW tank.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

leading to overflowing during heating cycles. The vessel is mounted about = the HW cylinder with the inlet/outlet facing downwards. When it was removed= , it was full of *very* dirty brown water. =20

Surely this is simply rust from corrosion of the expansion vessel itself?

Robert

Reply to
RobertL

The answer is probably "some" - but without finding a way to look its impossible to say. A fair amount can settle harmlessly at the bottom of the cylinder.

Reply to
John Rumm

No. The vessel was only just over two years old and once I pulled it apart, it was pretty rust free. It's definitely mud that come in with the water supply.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+