another elec. query (quick one)

is it a Requirement to have a fan isolator switch on a bathroom fan (connected into lighting circuit)?

TIA JimK

Reply to
jim

According to the data sheet for the bathroom fan I've just bought - yes.

Reply to
airsmoothed

Yes. The fan must be isolatable for mechanical maintenance. If the isolator is not under the 'control' of someone working on the fan then it must be of the type that can be locked off.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

and either way, it should have some mechanical way that you can tell its off by looking.

Reply to
John Rumm

John Rumm coughed up some electrons that declared:

And it doesn't have to be in a "normal" place. Mine's going to be in the roof void as that's where the inline fan is. One could discretely mount it on or up against the ceiling if required - as long as it does it's job - being a means of isolation of the fan by someone who's about to stick their fingers in it.

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

I also believe (but not 100% sure) it has to be a certain distance from the fan.

Reply to
SS

Plus, if it's in bathroom, you've got all the usual zone 1 etc regs. to take into account..

Reply to
airsmoothed

I am not aware of any distance requirements...

Reply to
John Rumm

If an isolator to allow safe working on the fan I'd guess there could be common sense used.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Dave Plowman (News) coughed up some electrons that declared:

I agree. I've not seem any specific regulation re distance - but it should be either within sight (and I would add: close) or lockable for the safety of the person working on the fan.

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim S