Another DIY injury

Well i managed to break a bone in my hand, with of all things...a drill.

I was enlarging a hold in rock with the sds drill, it bound, jumped out of both hands, spun round and either on the way out of my hand or on the way round cracked the bone below the ring finger. God only knows what the clutch is meant to release on, but it didn't work, I guess thats what comes from buying a cheap drill.

I've googled it but cannot find anything, is enlarging existing holes generally thought to be a bad idea?

Steve

Reply to
Steve

holes

If the larger hole is close in size to the original then definately yes, a recipe for jamming. However if the pilot hole is pretty small then there should be no problem. So a 1/4" pilot for a 5/16" hole in hard stone probably will jam, but a 3/4" hole with the same pilot is unlikely to jam.

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Did it have a clutch? Some cheap ones don't.

A friend has had two nasty accidents, the second of which resulted in a visit to A&E to have some stiches in his chin after the drill bit bound and the drill body spun round and whacked him on the chin. (First time, similar thing happened but the drill body swung round and hit a wall, and then managed to put a twist in the core bore arbor before stopping.)

What size hole, what type of bit?

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

There is a B&Q supplied SDS that's subject to a recall due to a faulty clutch. The manufacturer has admitted liability for a fairly nasty injury caused to a friend.

Reply to
shaun

Yep it was 14mm going to 18mm, went down about 3 Inchs before it jammed. I won't be doing that again.

I checked the manual again and it claims to have a clutch fitted, I'll give them a call and see if others have failed.

Steve

Reply to
Steve