Another cooker hood question

A very elementary question which most of you wouldn't have to think twice about, but...

My cooker hood has just today finally packed up and 'joined the choir invisibile'. It's an absolutely basic type and quite ugly but it is vented to the outside and actually worked quite well. (Photo here if it helps:

question is how difficult would it be to replace it myself with (say) one of these:
something similar? The electrics are no problem - the old one simply plugs into a 13A socket on the wall above the unit. The dimensions are almost the same, but what worries me is how it fits onto the outlet pipe - I know absolutely sod all about tubing, pipes, ducts and all that sort of thing. Pathetic I know, but there it is.

I'd be immensely grateful for any (practical) advice - thanks.

Reply to
Mike Lane

Mike Lane wrote on Oct 23, 2009:

- sorry!

Reply to
Mike Lane

In general it ought to be straight forward. However, there is a gotcha! If the vent exits directly out of the back - it will probably be in the middle - however that not guaranteed. I would suggest you take yours off (looks like a bog standard Hygena / MFI unit), and measure the position of the hole so that you can check the new one matches before you buy it. (the current one is held on 2 screws and the top at the back - you get to them by flipping the bottom panel down.

Reply to
John Rumm

Better still use a picture hosting service that doesn't require a specific range of browsers or OS (the list when you don't fit their restrictive requirements only mentions Mac or Doze as suitable OS's) and doesn't require a plugin to display static images that 99.9% of known browsers can display without any "assistance" at all.

Try flickr or tinypic.

As John says the location of the outlet hole on the current and new hoods will be the major factor in how had the swap is or isn't.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

John Rumm wrote on Oct 23, 2009:

[snip]

Aha - yes! It is indeed a Hygena (model APM2121). The unit doesn't have the maker's name on it anywhere. That's a great help thanks.

This makes me think that my best bet would be to try and get an identical replacement. Presumably then replacing it would be quite simple (maybe even someone as clueless as myself could do it).

Reply to
Mike Lane

Dave Liquorice wrote on Oct 23, 2009:

Sorry about that. The site I used is really intended for the elaborate display of photo albums rather than single pictures, but I was in a hurry and I've not had problems with any browser I've tried on PCs or Macs. However if you care to let me know the details of what OS and browser you are using I can file a bug report with Apple.

Reply to
Mike Lane

Works fine with IE8 and Wind XP

Reply to
Usenet Nutter

Which they will ignore as I use:

Mozilla 1.7.12 Mozilla/5.0 (OS/2; U; Warp 3; en-US; rv:1.7.12) Gecko/20050922.

The point is that the site uses a plugin to replace what 99.9% of all browsers can do natively, that is display static images.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice