Another BULB question

A while back I posted about a fitting I had and as a standard light bulb was not giving off much light could I find a alternative.

The rating is a max 60W fitting, so I was looking for a bulb size florescent one. Have found a 30w what which may do but I have to measure up first.

But the question is, I saw some 240V halogen normal size bulbs??. Will they give off more light than a standard bulb with the same rating??. Will they generate more/less/same heat as a standard bulb??

Thanks. Phil

Reply to
PhilÅ

To a first approximation the same heat as a standard bulb

Reply to
Mike

So if the same heat, must be the same light. So they just last longer than a normal bulb??

Reply to
PhilÅ

Ok probably go for the same wattage halogens

Do they give off more heat than a standard bulb?? 240Volt halogens??

Reply to
PhilÅ

No. Possibly slightly less. They are a tad more efficient.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Generally they can be designed to either have a longer life than a regular bulb or to be brighter (with a sliding scale in between these extremes). Difference in heat output either way from a regular bulb is insignificant.

A 30W compact fluorescent is likely to get too hot in a 60W fitting. The fitting won't come to any harm, but a compact fluorescent won't be happy running anywhere near the temperature of a regular bulb and the control gear might not last as long. A 15W one would probably be similar light output to a 60W lamp, so you might try a 20W one, or even a 23W one.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Even a 30W CFL will give off less heat and last longer than the halogen bulb. It will also give off approximately double the amount of light after warm up and probably match it from turn on.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Just thought of another idea. The heat comes mainly from the tube itself and that doesn't mind getting hot. It's the control gear which doesn't like getting hot. You could adapt the light to take a remotely ballasted compact fluorescent so the control gear is away from the source of heat. Also, such lamps are smaller (as they don't contain control gear) and may fit in the light better. You'd have to change the lampholder and it can be tricky obtaining and fitting lampholders for compact fluorescents with separate control gear.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

To answer the question stated Phil we would have to know the wattage of the 240V halogen bulb. If it is a 60 watt, then at 240 volts as opposed to 120v it will burn much dimmer than a standard 60 watt bulb, but will last about 2 to 3 times longer. So really the only advantage you're getting with a 240 volt bulb is longer life. The halogen will generate less heat if it is the same wattage (60 watt) because it is burning dimmer. Hope that helps!

googlegroups

I think this may depend on which way up the CFL is mounted. As you say, it's the control gear that will overheat if anything, but if mounted such that heat can be more easily dissipated it will last longer than if trapped upside down under a lampshade.

Reply to
Mike

Is it even legal ? This is high voltage low radio frequency energy and without shielded cable a remote fitting should cause lots of lovely EMC.

Reply to
Mike

They aren't high voltage, and there's no shielding around the tube anyway. Remote ballasts are designed for this anyway.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I think you wandered into the wrong country...

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Or rather lack of EMC...

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Fwom:PhilÅ ( snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com)

slightly

A 60w bulb will produce the same heat as a 60w bulb. Tevhnically theres a tiny difference, but too small to be of any relevance.

An an>To answer the question stated Phil we would have to know the wattage of

bulb,

advantage

complete twaddle

NT