Another bargain for the Aldi fans

Try ReiserFS.

Thats fails even worse.

ANY file system can be irrecoverably trashed - and the disk physically damaged - by yanking the power cord when its active with the heads against the platters.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Sigh.

Reply to
Huge

Nope, that's still bollocks. Have you tried to run Avid or FinalCut on a PC?

And yet more bollocks. You've identified one application, and that fairly niche, for which *you* have been unable to use a Mac, however that seems to be more down to incompetence rather than any flaw in the Mac.

Reply to
Steve Firth

While what you say is technically true its not how modern hard drives work. A modern drive should be able to finish the sector its on and park if the power fails.

Reply to
dennis

However all it shows is that the person in question failed to setup a plotter and a scanner, not that there is some inherent fault with MacOS.

No, you gave your somewhat biased drivel that you assume that Mac users are people who don't back up their computers or you assume that Mac users tend to be some sort of dullard. I donj't like PCs for the same reason I don't like a lot of things. That is that they are, in general, badly built and the OS is no exception. If you had ever experienced what goes on inside Windows you would, if you knew anything about software engineering, be horrified. It's a flaky pile of rubbish, often with components cobbled together to "just work, mostly" and frequently in the wrong order.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Then your comment is drivel. And I did not say that a journaled file system was anythign to do with backing up a computer.

And? It may be journaled (in name) but it doesn't actually work as it should.

Did I say they help with backups? Indeed I didn't even say what you claim that a journaled file system helps with backups, I meant that a journaled file system helps (to avoid) the reason why we do backups.

Don't give up the day job.

Nobody said that either did.

I get that antagonistic tone when dealing with drooling retards.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Reply to
Steve Firth

I think you will find that Apple had a hand in deigning the motherboards in their own machines and that they have permitted Intel to market those motherboards to third parties.

Any application that runs under MacOS.

Oh dear, here we go standard PC fanboy tactic, refer to some hunk of crap and try to compare it to a computer with a usuable specification.

Ah yes, that computer is expensive, and I don't need it's features.

May I suggest this Sinclair Spectrum for your needs? It has everything you want and it's not burdened with extras you don't need.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Which is supported under OSX. Drivers are available from microspot.co.uk.

Which is also supported, but it's an antique and you can get better scanners for less than the price of the software. Also note that the

4100C is not supported by HP on XP or Vista.

I've seen some of your anti-mac rants elsewhere, and it looks like your comments are mostly bollocks from start to end.

Reply to
Steve Firth

I bought one from them, it killed the Fujitsu P2020 it was attached to.

Bargain.

Reply to
Steve Firth

RISC OS copied the Mac approach to file types.

Reply to
Steve Firth

The Apple motherboards are virtually the same as the app notes for the chipsets. About the only thing Apple do is decide on what the firmware will do to nobble it and maybe how many ports to fit.

No, I said can any application make use of eight cores not are they available to use.

You threw in the £299 aldi not me.

Does it run Visual studio and mySQL? It's not much use to me then is it? I suppose you think its good enough to replace your Mac though so I understand where you get the false idea.

Reply to
dennis

Didn't you say "Any system needs regular backups, Macs are little different to any other computer in that respect. A journaled filing system helps.."

Maybe its because you are becoming one?

Reply to
dennis

Its more likely that you bought one because your P2020 killed the old one and then it died later. Seen it happen before.

Reply to
dennis

Don't spell checkers run on Apples?

Reply to
Stuart Noble

It's not even close to technically true.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Then perhaps you can explain why Intels press releases pointed out that the motherboars were being released in cooperation with Apple and with their permission?

Any application that runs under MacOS.

Perhaps you can point out where I made reference to £299?

I'm not the one claiming a £299 PC is an alternative to a MacBook.

Reply to
Steve Firth

No, you're wrong. I bought one because I wanted a PSU that would work in a car and on an aeroplane as well as in my office.

Care to try again?

Reply to
Steve Firth

You need to go back and *read* what I wrote:

"I do think they're better for those who don't do regular backups"

Which means people who don't back up would be better off with a Mac, whether they currently use one or not.

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

Still works on XP though:

"Installing a HP 4100C ScanJet on Windows XP"

Maybe TNP could try it on his PC.

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C