Anglian Windows

a) Change your name. Something like Wellard Pit-Bull is far less inviting than "Sweetheart".

b) Learn one or two stock phrases, or simply make some up, in some foreign language. Just keep repeating these phrases whatever the salesman says. Just make them louder with each repetition, and maybe start waving your arms about.

Making up your own phrases has the additional benefit that there's no chance of the salesman understanding what you're saying and making replies that you won't understand

c) Start telling him about the snails in your bath.

michael adams

Reply to
michael adams

Exactly. Can you imagine DG salesman vs Mr Sweetheart!

Owain

Reply to
Owain

The instant they identify themselves, or start out with any spiel, say 'Not interested, goodbye' and shut the door.

You could try 'Have you found the Lord?'. The problem with that comes if they have.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Don't enter into conversation, ie., say absolutely nothing beyond 'no thank you' or you'll give them an entry point.

Repeat it if necessary then it's 'goodbye'.

mark

Reply to
mark

Exactly. If I am asked any question by a cold caller I just say something like "I'm really not interested in discussing it". I'm damned if I am going to give any information or reasons for not wanting to buy anything, but I try to be as polite as possible - I wouldn't like to have to cold-call for a living. 9 times out of 10 they usually they smile, thank me, and walk away. If not I say goodbye and shut the door.

Same applies on the telephone. One polite "not interested" - no point in being nasty or lying - and if they keep talking after that I put the phone down.

Reply to
Steve Slatcher