anglian double glazing

Just had a quote for an ordinary 3 bed semi

Box bay + front door

3 bedroom windows + small side window to side of house Bathroom and seperate very small toilet window so Box Bay + 5 windows plus toilet mini one. +front door.

I have no idea what sort of price it should be but after normal games with rep was quoted £7500. I dont think size of windows actually make any difference to these figures as they seem to apply enormous discounts to bring a "special price" just for me!

Any comments..rip off or not?

I know I can get more comparitive prices but another opinion would help. TIA

Reply to
Capt T

Try for a small local firm. Most areas have one or two local suppliers that are talked about and recommended.

Reply to
EricP

It also costs much the same labour and investment in tooling etc to produce a small window as a large one. The actual extrusions and glass is fairly cheap.

Over a thousand quid a window?

Have a look at something like

an idea of supply only window prices.

Then there's the fitting, and labour and overheads isn't cheap. But I would rough-guesstimate about £500 per average ordinary window if you're getting a houseload done. Bay windows harder to guesstimate as if they're structural the replacement windows may need to be reinforced - and structural bay windows is something a lot of replacement window companies ignore.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

you need to give specification as window quality varies widely

if plaster and tiling round existing is sound then a 4 man team should do it in a day so im guestimating a grand for labour on that basis(medway handyman may be dearer)

so for £6500 id want very good windows indeed

breeze

Reply to
unsteady

IME the quality of anglian windows is not the problem, the cheaper windows that I got were much inferior.

With anglian, it's how they remunerate the salesmen that's the issue.

tim

Reply to
tim.....

This is the real hard part here.

IME normal windows you should be able to get for around 350 fitted, a front door, with good quality security about 750, but the bay, I have no idea.

tim

Reply to
tim.....

Capt T coughed up some electrons that declared:

Vastly overpriced I'd say. Unless it's in something other than white uPVC, in which case the price can get loaded up 20% or more for coloured plastic or wood effect.

Landlord just had ours done:

All white uPVC

1 front door + side lite Double door between conservatory/house 9 "typical" windows (typical means about 1.1 x 1.1m, casement + fan opener)

6k I understand from the fitter. He was a local bloke. Quality fine, as far as uPVC goes. Half windows plain, half leaded.

HTH

Tim

PS you can gauge the materials cost here:

Not sure about their quality or Anglian's quality, so make allow some leeway.

Reply to
Tim S

Owain coughed up some electrons that declared:

If Anglian work as fast as our landlord's bloke, the OP's job will take about 2 days to remove + refit and a further day to trim up and make good, assuming a straightforward job (no render on our house, so making good was trim + silicone sealant and a bit of flashing trim/bending. Our bloke had most of our house rewindowed+redoored in about 5 days, another week for soffits, guttering and fiddling with windows making good and about another day fixing some gotchas.

Owain's point about bays is worth noting - we didn't have any.

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

In message , Capt T writes

It does sound expensive.

A friend of mine down the road used a local firm and had

2 x big bay windows 6 x others (smallest probably 1m x 0.7m)

in a dark woodgrain.

What really surprised me is that he stipulated that the old 'brick tile' type sills on the outside should go. This meant the inner leaf ended up one brick course higher than the outer leaf. The fitters took this course out, made good (and made up new interior sills in a nice hardwood) all for £5400... and he got a Fensa certificate. The windows and quality of fitting do look as good as any others I've seen.

If you're really a glutton for punishment, I could offer the story of when a 'reputable' national firm quoted my Mother £35,000 for double glazing for a three bed semi.

Hth

Reply to
somebody

Then look in the paper for someone who repairs DG. IME they are normally freelance fitters.

Reply to
stuart noble

My mates just had a 3 bedroom mid terrace with box bay for £7000, from a local firm. He paid extra for having all window box bay as opposed to dwarf wall and for it to be done in one day. Turned up in 4 large vans and he lost count of number of workmen and amount of tea+biscuits consumed, but nice job, started 8am finished by 3'ish. Nice point was a young lad with vacuum who continually wondered round vacuuming up the mess left by all the men.

Left loads of PVC trim + sealants for him to finish the kitchen windows as my mate was only 1/2 way through decorating his kitchen.

Reply to
Ian_m

I had Anglian in to do a quote but I didn't like the guys methods, he spend most of the time telling me how I shouldn't trust Indian builders and saying how much better their windows were than anyone else's. I can't remember the quote as his 'tatics' but me off. I had set up a small webcam under the TV hoping he'd realise at some point I was recording the procedure, which he did after about 40mins in to his talk. he then seemed igore to leave, so got to the point of gettign out the paper work, he asked me how I wanted to pay and I apologised and said I'd invited him in for a quote and that was it, as I had other companies coming and I would not sign anything until I'd seen other quotes. I spoken very clearly for the recording ;-) He then left me the quote on the back of an envelope I had lying around and left. Friends have had them in but I don;t believe they are one compamny I think they subcontract to someone that's willing to take on the job.

Anyway after all that I went with Everrest, by far the most expensive but who I went with, sure the saleman was a salesman but he wasn't pushy he promoted his range rather than slagging off the competition .

. The two workman came in a large van with everything they needed installed the windows without much fuss, and took all the old ones away with them and didn't leave any significant mess about>

They seemed efficient and knew what they were doing arrivinig about 8am and leaving about 4:30pm having installed a 3 window bay and a single window very similar to this 1st floor property

3 window bay and single window coming to £3002. After the 40% discount for agree to letting them put a sign up and/or filming the install They didn't do either of these things it seems to be a ploy to give big discount on outrageous prices first quoted at £8,000 . I paid the full price by cheque (10% deposit to the salesman), if I'd gone for credit there was another very similar discount scheme, I got an extra discount as a returning customer too. Not that I believe such discounts.

As I say expensive but a 25 year or so guarantee 10 of which can be transferred to the next owner of the property as far as I remember. One other thing they actually used a surveyor to measure the windows at the top, middle and bottom (rather than a salesmans measurements) who also checked for possible structural problems.

Reply to
whisky-dave

. Bay windows harder to guesstimate as if

This is a very good and essential point.

We had an upstairs and downstairs Bay replaced and, despite being told that they were structual, the firm - local - didn't fit reinforcement. It took a Structual Engineer' report and the threat of court action to get them to refit. Even then they tried to get away with just doing the ground floor one! (It was obvious from the way the originals were fitted that they were structual and supported the roof but the firm ignored this).

Reply to
John Evans

I had my windows replaced a few years ago Can't remember the quotes in detail but the national firm (may have been Anglian, may have been another) was 3 times the cost of a local, established firm, who were

1.5 times the cost of a bloke who took a very quick look and wrote his quote on the back of a business card. Of course, they were the only 3 out of 6 who actually turned up to quote.

We went with the local established firm who were very obliging (especially given the regs where we are). They turned up at 8.30 and by 9 had pretty much all the old windows out. By then end of the day, the whole job was done (4 bedroom house). That was 5 years ago and we've never had a problem with it. Lucky perhaps, but I think a firm like that lives on reputation and recommendation, so had a vested interest in a happy customer.

Reply to
GMM

I had 8 windows (one of them a bay) and a door done for £3550 in February 2002 (deliberately to beat Part L). This was done by a local chap recommended by the local glass shop (he used to work for them). He took me to see some he'd just fitted, and took me around the local factory where he got them made, so I could see all the different options available (and it was quite fascinating to see how they're made too). Price also included removing all the remains of the sash boxes, and bricking up kitchen window by about 4 courses and making a new sill so it wasn't lower than the worktop. He had a brickie and a plasterer come in to do their parts, and a labourer to help him fit the windows. I arranged for the frames to be delivered a few days before he fitted them, which allowed me to install concealed alarm contacts in them all. He arranged for what looked like a gypsy to come and take away all the old aluminium DG, and he cleared up the rest himself (mostly rotten/splintered sash box remains). Took him about 3 days and the plasterer another 2 days afterwards.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel