Angled drill/driver - any good?

Hi,
Currently fitting a new bath and vanity unit so have found myself trying to drill or turn screws in awkward corners.
Thought about treating myself to one of these angled drill/drivers (cordless variety) but a quick look in Screwfix shows that they are 160 plus (except for a rather puny looking Bosch model). Also looked in B&Q but they didn't seem to have any.
Has anyone bought one of these things? Are they worth having? Are there any cheaper ones available (less than 75 quid)? Any features/problems to watch out for?
TIA,
David
On Sun, 04 Jan 2004 20:27:00 +0000, David Kerr

I have a Makita DA391 which is an excellent drill. This is in the 160 range from Screwfix - I bought mine in the U.S. for about $150.
It is only a 9.6v battery device, but don't be fooled by that - it has a low gear ratio so is able to achieve good torque. Generally you don't want high speed anyway.

Whether you will get one at that low a price, I doubt. One thing that is important is good slow speed control while maintaining torque which Makita drills do have.
I use this tool a lot more than I anticipated that I would.

.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

I used to have the use of a makita angle drill, it was brilliant, but I can't afford to buy one of my own, in truth I have rarely found a job that I can't do another way. So , nice to have and useful but not indispensible.
MrCheerful
David Kerr wrote:

They are invaluable when nothing else works, but they seldom have the power - partly because of exertng the pressure.

If you have a need for an angle drill then there isn't really another tool that will do the job as well.
I'd pop down to the local independent hire shop if your need is likely to be transient. If PPro, Nutool, Ferm and the likes release one for a moderate amount of money then that would change the economics of the situation somewhat, and I'd be tempted to get one for occasional use then.
-- Richard Sampson
On Sun, 04 Jan 2004 20:27:00 +0000, David Kerr

Friend of mine has a corded one (from RS, and yes it was expensive)
Dead handy when you need it. Not a great deal of use otherwise. Most of the time it gets used it's for wire brushing, as this is much easier to handle than with a "standard" drill grip.
-- Smert' spamionam
David Kerr wrote:

David, I have used something like this in similar circumstances:
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?ts 897&id932
Neil

Ryobi now sell one for 100 plus VAT inc a 14.4 v drill driver. So excellent value for money if you need the two. Ryobi are a good make. http://www.protrade.co.uk

I bought the above for 10 and this angle driver below for a 5 at the local tool stall. Does the job well, and all for 15. Beats paying 170
http://www.tool-net.co.uk/data/index.php?ToolID13405

Bought, no. I've hired them when I need them. Especially useful when drilling though joists.

I have a cheap solution ofr light duties. Maplin sell a right angle driver conversion for use with a standard drill. If you need to drill (small) holes it can be used with a chuck on a hex shank. Suitable pin chucks are sold for use with cordless drivers.