Angled drill/driver - any good?

Hi,

Currently fitting a new bath and vanity unit so have found myself trying to drill or turn screws in awkward corners.

Thought about treating myself to one of these angled drill/drivers (cordless variety) but a quick look in Screwfix shows that they are £160 plus (except for a rather puny looking Bosch model). Also looked in B&Q but they didn't seem to have any.

Has anyone bought one of these things? Are they worth having? Are there any cheaper ones available (less than 75 quid)? Any features/problems to watch out for?

TIA,

David

Reply to
David Kerr

I have a Makita DA391 which is an excellent drill. This is in the £160 range from Screwfix - I bought mine in the U.S. for about $150.

It is only a 9.6v battery device, but don't be fooled by that - it has a low gear ratio so is able to achieve good torque. Generally you don't want high speed anyway.

Whether you will get one at that low a price, I doubt. One thing that is important is good slow speed control while maintaining torque which Makita drills do have.

I use this tool a lot more than I anticipated that I would.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

I used to have the use of a makita angle drill, it was brilliant, but I can't afford to buy one of my own, in truth I have rarely found a job that I can't do another way. So , nice to have and useful but not indispensible.

MrCheerful

Reply to
MrCheerful

They are invaluable when nothing else works, but they seldom have the power - partly because of exertng the pressure.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

If you have a need for an angle drill then there isn't really another tool that will do the job as well.

I'd pop down to the local independent hire shop if your need is likely to be transient. If PPro, Nutool, Ferm and the likes release one for a moderate amount of money then that would change the economics of the situation somewhat, and I'd be tempted to get one for occasional use then.

-- Richard Sampson

RichardS

Friend of mine has a corded one (from RS, and yes it was expensive)

Dead handy when you need it. Not a great deal of use otherwise. Most of the time it gets used it's for wire brushing, as this is much easier to handle than with a "standard" drill grip.

-- Smert' spamionam

Reply to
Andy Dingley

David, I have used something like this in similar circumstances:

Neil Bush

Ryobi now sell one for £100 plus VAT inc a 14.4 v drill driver. So excellent value for money if you need the two. Ryobi are a good make.

I have seen this attachment for sale in tool shops for £12

tool stall. Does the job well, and all for £15. Beats paying £170

IMM

Bought, no. I've hired them when I need them. Especially useful when drilling though joists.

I have a cheap solution ofr light duties. Maplin sell a right angle driver conversion for use with a standard drill. If you need to drill (small) holes it can be used with a chuck on a hex shank. Suitable pin chucks are sold for use with cordless drivers.

Reply to
Steve Firth