Angle grinders - new skinny Bosch blue?

In Screwfix yesterday (only out of stock on one thing, and one other that they no longer sell!)

On the counter they had an example of a new Bosch blue GWS 7 angle grinder - extra skinny, made with their "Champion" motor.

=A370 list, down to =A360 inc VAT

It looked quite good. Bosch blue used to have a good name. Anyone tried one? Anyone know what this Champion motor is about?

Bosch describe it as having a more efficient magnetic path, thus smaller.

question is, is this a marvellous new improvement to blue Bosch with a bit of vorsprung durch technik in it, or is it just the usual Chinese "simplificate and add shiteness" approach?

I didn't get one, for two reasons - both of which made me suspect the second, not the first, has been applied here. First of all it's a pin spanner nut, not a quick-release fold-out. Secondly it's not an anti- vibration handle, so I'd still need to be sticking Armaflex to it. Also the spindle lock button looked remarkably flimsy.

I guess I'll be wanting another Metabo then, and this new blue Bosch seems to be following their 1/4" trim router resolutely downmarket.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

My 4.5" Metabo blew up - nice machine while it lasted (and it did die being abused on masonry).

I needed a replacement fast and ended up with a Wickes pro thing which is crude. Next time, I'm trying Fein.

Reply to
Bolted