Angle grinder to cut old iron pipes

I found some old iron pipes that had been left rolling on my dining room ceiling by a previous plumber. They are far too long to get out without cutting them or taking up all the floorboards.

I have tried a metal cutting blade on my jigsaw but progress is

*extremely* slow - the pipes are thick walled and very hard.

Will an angle grinder with appropriate cutting disk do the job...I don't actually have an angle grinder otherwise I'd try it. (I've never used one before)

TIA

Mr F.

Reply to
Mr Fizzion

If they really are iron it should go through fairly easily BUT what about the sparks!! Beware the fire risk.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

An angle grinder would be fine, as would a jigsaw. With the angle grinder, lots of sparks will be produced that may set fire to inflammable junk such as sawdust, shavings, spider webs, old felt lagging, that may be under the boards, so take care. Also angle grinder sparks will ruin any glass or ceramic surface they hit, so watch out for your mugs/windows/glasses. First support the pipe, so it won't fall and bash the ceiling when you cut it. Get the grinder going, then tough the wheel on the pipe. When a small slot has been made, rub the wheel back and forth to assist fast cutting. Do not let the wheel chatter in the slot, or wiggle it sideways, or the wheel will wear rapidly. Should the wheel bind (jam) when cutting the pipe, the grinder will give you a big jerk, so be careful. Don't run the grinder where any of your flesh could get in the way. Careful of electric/gas/other water pipes.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

angle grinder and safety gear (goggles and gloves) will be fine, hold the pipe with mole wrenches so that the cut off part will hang down, rather than pinch the cutting disk, I would put a wet towel below and around you to catch the sparks, beware that the sparks do not get to any glass, as they will melt in (been there, done that)

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

Perhaps you should follow the example of the previous plumber?

I would only remove them if there was a good reason to. Cutting them would otherwise be an unnecessary fire risk and waste of time.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

I guess I'll never make a real plumber then! :-)

Somehow detritus left under my floorboards annoys me. I have found the odd cigarette butt there too.

Mr F.

Reply to
Mr Fizzion

They are mandatory - I found one under the bath when I took the panel off to replace the taps

Reply to
Richard Conway

If they're really hard they might break if you whack them with a lump hammer (or a cold chisel if there isn't hammer access).

Reply to
Rob Morley

There's good reason to vacuum up any debris, as it is a fire risk. Just leave the pipes, though. Better a few hidden pipes than a burnt down house. The plumber was right to leave them there, IMO.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Thats probably why they are still there!

You will set fire to your house don't do it. You could try a screwdown wheel cutter but if they aren't doing any harm why not leave them alone?

Reply to
John

Where's your sense of adventure? Old Fizzy will also get a number of 6' lengths of clogged-up galvanised iron water pipe to put in the shed, which will be useful for... erm...

Reply to
Chris Bacon

It will cut easily enough with a hacksaw and a decent high speed blade. But needs to be properly supported to get the right pressure on it. Could you clamp it up to the floorboards either side of your opening, etc? It won't actually be hard but just plain mild steel.

I'd be worried about sparks etc. And it would still need supporting.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

As well as the fire risk you would be well advised to practice before trying cutting in a confined space. Also the iron filings produced go everywhere and if they fall on carpets may produce rust marks months later.

Reply to
Peter Parry

done it often - no prob except the sparks.

Reply to
jacob

================== A reciprocating saw will do the job safely (and quicker than a jig saw) and you may be able to hire one if you don't anticipate any further use for one.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

Push them along parallel to the joists until you get to an outside wall, then drill a hole through the wall. Push pipes out through hole. Apologise to neighbour for iron pipe smashing sunroof on new BMW. Etc.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Seem to remember IMM recommending this approach for something. Sorry.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Never have I seen such a deadly insult on ukdiy

NT

Reply to
bigcat