Angle grinder scare

The article doesn't give much detail - but it sounds like he got a massive kickback (not surprising at the rpm involved), presumably from a the kerf pinching up, or twisting the blade in the job. Presumably a

9" grinder.

How on earth was he positioned though for the blade to strike his neck? Maybe he was attempting to use it in a vertical chopping motion through a horizontal log, with the rotating blade in-line with his bodyline (and the blade (disc!) guard removed).

Nothing to stop the kerf gabbing the blade (i.e a riving knife), poor ergonomics to control the force of the kickback (because it's a grinder), no kickback protection (as on a chainsaw) - and bad luck to sustain a fatal injury, rather than a very scary warning.

Reply to
RubberBiker

think my question of what to do with the leyladii stumps is answered here.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Reply to
Owain

>I think my question of what to do with the leyladii stumps is answered here. >

That will be circular saw blades banned from DIY use next tuesday then!

Reply to
ericp

Lay them across your big brass bed.

Why wait any longer for the one you love When it's standing in front of you.

(Apologies Bob.)

Reply to
Rod

In message , David writes

Reply to
geoff

On Mon, 07 Sep 2009 22:37:56 +0100, snipped-for-privacy@blueyonder.co.uk had this to say:

>>>I think my question of what to do with the leyladii stumps is answered here. >>

Nah - all H&S legislation is only as a result of presumed incidents, never real ones.

I sympathise with the guy and his family (really) but where was 'common sense' in all this? Neither schools nor parents seem to play any part in inculcating any thought by their charges. H&S people positively discourage any 'messing about' with which people develop sense and thought - we're all being led to becoming zombies, it would seem.

Only this evening the local rag was hailing a few schools in the area which have become "Academies" (I thought they were supposed to be independent of the local authority, but it seems not), and only highlighted their dance studios and hair salons (oh - and computer suites - wow!) - never mind woodwork and metalwork shops, maths or science classrooms. In fact a friend of mine who retired from teaching a year or so ago assures me that science teaching at secondary level is now a dead duck. Ho hum.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

That's be Microsoft Word 101 leading to a career in network engineering, I take it.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

beat me to it geoff :-|

Reply to
John Stumbles

On Mon, 7 Sep 2009 16:03:58 -0700 (PDT), Owain had this to say:

Yeah - like typing (with US spellchecking activated), probably.

How really, really sad. Seriously.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Assuming a 9" grinder, it was prolly a 184mm dia blade - very popular & easy to find size. Can't be arsed to work out the edge speed at 6000 rpm - but I would scare me!

Instruction manuals are full of OTT safety advice, but it would take a very brave - or stupid man to fit a saw blade to an angle grinder.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I was somewhat bemused watching University Challenge this evening when Paxman read out a good clear description of what a carburettor does, and asked what was the name of this part of an engine. None of the students knew; the second answer happened to be right but was clearly mostly guesswork.

I'm only 28 but I already fear for the youth of today.

Pete

Reply to
Pete Verdon

QVC were recently selling an accessory for angle grinders. It let you cut and sculpt wood. It was a circular blade with a chain saw chain wrapped around it.

Reply to
ericp

The one's I've seen are designed for *small* grinders, have a suitable tooth spacing for the rotational speed, *limiters in front of each tooth*, proper blade guards etc

see:

RubberBiker

I thought that when I saw it. OTOH, how many modern engines have carburettors? The answer 'injector' was given...

Reply to
Bob Eager

But the first answer "injector" was probably correct for the equivalent function in the chap's own car.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

You haven't looked at ICT in schools have you? Knowing M$ stuff makes it harder as they don't use M$ for exams and course work.

They don't use OO either btw.

Reply to
dennis

My old car had what was a cross between a carb and fuel injection proper.. it had single point injection where they basically put one injector in the "carb". so injector was probably the correct answer.

Not having heard it did they state the fuel level was controlled by a float and that the venturi effect drew in the fuel and that it was metered by a tapered pin?

Reply to
dennis

Not really a cross. A carburettor sucks in petrol via some form of measuring jets. Single point injects a measured amount of petrol into the air stream.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)