angle grinder discs

I was looking at these to cut a few paving slabs, I have already used some cheap ones I bought out of poundies and they done the job ok. The ones below (link) are diamond tipped but my concern is the thickness that they may shatter easily ....any thoughts on this.

ss

Diamond discs are steel, I don't see a problem. Its grit discs that shatter.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

OK thanks I didnt realise they were metal.

Reply to
ss

Yes indeed. 3mm is nearly 1/8" in real money - which is fine!

The only trouble you'll have is depth of cut - you really need a full size angle grinder for paving slabs.

Reply to
Roger Mills

I have used the identical ones. They are OK for softer masonry but on hard stuff not so good. By hard stuff I mean say granite or quarry tiles. The more expensive paviours have granite chippings BTW. The cheapo disks just skid and overheat on the really hard stuff.

I think the cheapo disks don't have as many diamonds in them and they are smaller diamonds. OK though for normal concrete and non engineering bricks.

Reply to
harry

Using the cheapo ones I could get half way through the thickness of the paving slabs and then thump with a hammer to snap it, the result was good enough for my purpose. So not bothered about going all the way through on the cut.

Reply to
ss

So long as you are not cutting granolithic slabs the cheapo diamond disks are a good buy. They will outlast the normal disks twenty to one. Quicker to cut by a long way and a better cut too. I don't use anything else.

Reply to
harry

Way to go. If there are any snobs left on, you can just knock them off with the hammer and chisel.

Reply to
harry