Angle Grinder Advice

Yes. Their charge for a single mm increment is usually higher than the cost of a cheap diamond disc.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

You, Sir, have been abusing your tool.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

If you touch the side face, possibly.

If you propel the edge of an abrasive disc, at high angular and linear velocity into some skin/flesh, with a few kilos of weight behind it, I think the results will be different. IMO.

Bring a diamond blade into the scenario and I reckon things will be loads worse. IMO.

I have not tried either, and won't be doing so, but a mate of mine in the building trade told me a story about a mangled jaw that turned my stomach. Maybe an urban myth ... who knows?

Is this a subtle suggestion?

Reply to
AlexW

Mine cost me precisely 75p (minimum hire charge) because wear on it was 'immesurable'

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Not.

My disc was a 34 quid disc, and the hire charge was 75p.

They worked at less than a mm increment.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Why is the whizzing blade not obvious, you can see it, hear the motor noise etc etc and it won't jump out at you!

Well you IMO should not have both hands free, because you are using your push stick and work pads (or should be), and then there is a guard (usually).

If you disregard normal safety precautions cut w/o guards etc I can see your argument, but if you are doing it all by the book, the grinder is far more of a hazard. IMO.

Yes I agree that hands are not in much danger. However other bits, groin, thighs and face for example, can be right in the firing line for example when your 9" diamond blade hits a corner strap that you were not expecting in that soft aeriated blockwork your cutting.

Reply to
AlexW

I was quoted 20 quid as the minimum increment. A complete scam.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

But it won't in general have a high linear velocity will it.

Nothing subtle about it! :-)

Reply to
usenet

Oh absolutely, if you're doing things correctly the danger is probably less, it's just that I feel more vulnerable to a careless accident.

An angle grinder or something similar actually in your hands concentrates the mind somewhat.

Maybe, it's just my subjective feeling about tables saws and such possibly rather than a rational fear. It would be interesting to know what the relative accident rates are for different tools, though very difficult to compare because you don't know the frequency of use.

Like the dreaded 'kick back' with a chainsaw, however I've never experienced this with an electric chainsaw and I'm not convinced that it's actually a really serious problem with an electric one, there's so much less rotating mass than there is with a petrol engined one. It is *vital* to hold on tight with all such tools though.

Reply to
usenet

Not sure how this effects the argument ... my point is that it almost certainly break the skin, err, at the very least.

Reply to
AlexW

So, Nat Phil and Christian - out of interest, which hire outlets were these? Pretty obvious which one's the best value for money!

David

Reply to
Lobster

When you do the abrasive wheel training there is a 'nice' film showing 9" grinding wheel coming in contact with a leg of lamb If it kicks back and your leg stops it, it will go down to the bone, if not further.

imho they have 2 handles because its physically impossible to use single handed

Regards Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Newmarket tool hire was mine. Opposite Ridgeons in Depot Road, just up from the council dump.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher