Angle drills

Page 2 of 3

I certainly do and I am sure that a lot of other people do as well.
The equation is between the cost of having the work done and doing it yourself including the cost of materials and the lifetime cost of the tools.

I've tried this one out, and I am sorry but it is nowhere near Makita's quality and usability level.

Nothing new there.

initial price tag

.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Add pictures here
βœ–

It is only new on the market. Where? when?

No one is saying Makita is poor quality. The point is, the tool for intened use, which is DIY in tis case. Nevertheless the Ryobi is good quality, works well and does what it is supposed to do. If you assess the price of the 14.4 v drill/driver as about the same as the angle drill, then that is £57 for the angle drill, when Makita's are going for £170. That is approx THREE times the price.

Exactly!
I am waiting for a mains cheapy to come along for the amont of use I would give one. All they are is angle grinder geared down, and you can buy them for £12.

βœ–

One of the stands at the Axminster tool show last month had one. I don't remember which.

You've tried one? The speed control is nowhere near as good as on the Makita drills, and for a tool of this type is critical.

This depends on how you want to count it. I already said that in my view, just looking at the initial price tag only gives a small piece of the overall story.

drill works and your use is minimal then a £12 product is probably appropriate for your needs anyway.
Since it's coming up to Christmas, have a look at this
https://www.hamleys.com/web/product/?ProductID „5305&CategoryID=4&
Should suit your needs and great value at only £29.95
If you promise to behave then I'll write to Santa for you.

.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Add pictures here
βœ–

If it is to the quality of their drill/drivers then it is good.

From 1 and the 2 and onwards.

The Ryobi is not a £12 cheapy.

I think they are cheaoer at B&Q

You are considerate.

βœ–

So "no" then.

I didn't say that it was nor that it was junk. It is suitable for some applications and budgets, but is not at Makita's standard.

Probably.
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Add pictures here
βœ–

Personally I couldn't agree with this sentiment. I will often do the job myself because I frequently can do it to a better standard, but the primary reason for diy for me is the sheer trouble of finding someone to do the job, at any price, never mind finding someon to do it at a sensible price.
Having said that I do get pleasure in diy.
Paul Mc Cann
Add pictures here
βœ–

As it happens, I'm the opposite. But I still DIY.

Hear, hear. And this is the main reason I DIY.
βœ–
On Fri, 05 Dec 2003 07:14:25 +0000, Paul Mc Cann

I agree with your points as well, Paul, regarding quality of work, getting people and enjoying doing the job.
I was trying to relate my comments to the economic ones in terms of why I prefer to buy professional and branded tools for the most part. I also find that the better job that I can almost always do is a benefit as well, to me at least, but it's hard to quantify that,. It's also perfectly legitimate to spend one's money or something that one likes, of course........

.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Add pictures here
βœ–

degrees to the output shaft via a chunky gearbox. The handle unclips to allow it to get into narrow spaces. Bit pricey though, about ukp 115 and not even SDS.
--
Andrew

Add pictures here
βœ–

Here it is. Not cheap! http://www.fulhamtimber.co.uk/tool17.html
http://www.toolkit-shop.co.uk/impact_drilling_machine/823057.htm and http://tinyurl.com/y3zj
£99 + VAT here: http://www.generalfixings.co.uk/specialoffers.htm

βœ–
wrote: snip

I discovered some years back, to my cost, the difference between Ryobi U.S.A. and Ryobi Japan. I had a perfectly good split boom strimmer with various attachments which in a moment of madness I sold to a brother-in-law and decided to treat myself to a new one.
The original was Japanese and the replacement U.S.A. The difference was immediately obvious as soon as I took the new one out of the box.
Some time later whilst in a different suppliers the difference was explained to me.
IME RYOBI U.S.A. products were IMHO junk whereas RYOBI Japan were acceptable
My general experience with American manufactured garden products is that they produce a lot of items manufactued down to a priice instead of up to a standard.
Paul Mc Cann
Add pictures here
βœ–
[23 lines snipped]

My experience exactly of my American ride-on mower. In the 11 years I've owned it, I've welded a steady succession of bits back on to it, and then three weeks ago, it broke it's con-rod while I was using it to hoover up leaves.
I was once in Rochester, NY, on business, and heard a comment on a radio station that has stayed with me ever since; "This programme is made in the American way - shoddily and with a view to a profit".
βœ–

I bought the above for £10 and this angle driver below for a £5 at the local tool stall. Does the job well, and all for £15. Beats paying £170
http://www.tool-net.co.uk/data/index.php?ToolID13405

βœ–

bicycle beats a car. Without getting into the merits of exercise, both get you from A to B and the bicycle is cheaper, but that's about it...

.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Add pictures here
βœ–

That would put each cell at approximately 8 quid. Don't be silly.
--
*Does fuzzy logic tickle? *

βœ–
You should be able to find the angle adapter that fits into you ordinary drill chuck. Mine works great but don't often use it.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Mon, 1 Dec 2003 23:02:04 +0000 (UTC), "Jim"

I find them a PITA if used for driving screws. It can be difficult to hold the angle attachment to the screw and manipulate the drill at the same time. Needs 3 hands !
Paul Mc Cann
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Tue, 02 Dec 2003 22:40:59 +0000, Paul Mc Cann

Dunno if the OP wants to drive screws or drill...
I've seen a chap who fit a drill chuck on an angle grinder (M14 thread?), which was fine for drilling, and sounds cheap...
Thomas Prufer
Add pictures here
βœ–

Sounds dangerous too.

βœ–

Why? It's no more dangerous than a chuck spinning at a similar speed in a straight drive...
Thomas Prufer
Add pictures here
βœ–