Andy Hall - tribute comments

Andrew

I very much appreciate you taking time to do this for Andy and his family. I am sure they will appreciate, and see, just what an asset he was to this group and how much he will be missed, and indeed will continue to be an asset as we have all taken something from him in the past that we will be richer from in the future. You're a Gentleman Andrew and I am sure everyone here thanks you for doing such a touching, poinient and heart warming memorial from all of his friends here at uk.d-i-y.

God bless Sam

Reply to
Samantha Booth

What a lovely idea Dave.

Reply to
Samantha Booth

My sentiments exactly Sam, thank you for expressing so much better than I ever could. Thanks Andrew.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

And mine. sheila at viemeister dot co dot uk

Reply to
S Viemeister

"Most blinkered support for an Aga"?

"Recommendation for a really expensive tool"?

"Frequent Flyer Trophy Cup"?

Reply to
Steve Firth

If its in a PDF then its probably not a problem using it straight...

If its going in HTML then a bit of numeric character encoding will throw the vast majority of havesters.

Reply to
John Rumm

I now double-bag [ahem] on usenet and mung an address which doesn't work even if demunged.

Does anyone with a reliable news server know what Andy's last few posts were?

Owain

Reply to
Owain

The last of his posts I saw via Giganews on 7th August were

"Wooden bosses for handrails - who sells 'em ?" msgid:

"Biscuit Jointing" msgid:
finally

"Domestic windmills put to bed." msgid:

Andy Burns

Thirded. Thanks for taking the time and trouble.

Andy C

Reply to
Andy Cap

Best power tool released over a year might be an idea. Although getting a consensus would be the problem.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

"Poster of the Year" - biggest and best contribution to uk.d-i-y in the year?

Combine number *and* quality of posts (-100 for every 'Please eff off as you are a total plantpot.' :-) ). Maybe extras to be gained from other activities (e.g. doing wiki articles, arranging meets)?

Reply to
Rod

If I should go before the rest of you Break not a flower Nor inscribe a stone Nor when I am gone Speak in a Sunday voice But be the usual selves That I have known

Weep if you must Parting is hell But life goes on So .... sing as well

Joyce Grenfell

1910-1979
Reply to
stuart noble

They have scrolled off my system, but google seems to identify a few on the 7th.

I was wondering if it was worth doing an announcement on some of the other groups he frequented. None had the sort of posting history as here, but a couple had a reasonable amount of posts?

Reply to
John Rumm

Hear Hear.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I signed mine AJH, because that's how I sign notes, but later wished I had used my name, Andrew Heggie.

Reply to
AJH

Aldi Wall Chaser

Hmm, I can see the problem. OTOH if the criteria becomes "What would Andy have done?" it becomes a bit easier, doesn't it?

Reply to
Steve Firth

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember snipped-for-privacy@cucumber.demon.co.uk (Andrew Gabriel) saying something like:

few contributors drop off the perch, but I've never seen such a collection of genuinely sad comments at the passing of a group member. It's a measure of how he affected us all, some of us without realising it.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

In alt.support.thyroid one person was the most prolific and helpful poster of the lot. He died some time ago - and it took a while for the story to become apparent. Clearly he was very much missed - certainly by us.

And he only manged 753 posts! Andy Hall's total is nothing short of astonishing.

Reply to
Rod

Well done. And thank you.

Reply to
TheOldFellow

It's extremely good of you to do this Andrew: it's very much appreciated.

Thanks John Law

Reply to
jal