Andy Hall

Maybe what I originally wrote was capable of being misinterpreted - but I'm glad that we now seem to be in violent agreement. It would be a great pity if this particular thread were to degenerate into a slanging match, so I'm very pleased that it hasn't.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Bugger :o(

Reply to
FredCarnot

In message , Mary Fisher writes

You're filling your head with all sorts of assumptions that he might not understand

stop filling this thread with your maryesque crap

its out of place here

Reply to
geoff

In message , Mary Fisher writes

Oh do f*ck off - here is not the time or the place

this thread is about Andy and his life and contribution to our little society, not your maryesque "I want to be the centre of attention" tripe

an opportunity to grieve, if you like, and not for you to take over and reduce to contents of handbags

Reply to
geoff

In message , Tim S writes

I thoroughly agree on all counts.

To be rich in spirit and remembered as a decent person is the greatest thing anyone can aspire to IMHO, all other aspirations are frippery and will pass.

Andy seems to have met all the requirements to be regarded as high quality.

Please pass on my condolences if there's to be a card or such.

Reply to
Clint Sharp

I was fearing the worst about Andy. I knew he was a diabetic. I have been away and just logged in and saw this thread. I never thought I could cry about someone I had never met.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

snipped-for-privacy@cucumber.demon.co.uk (Andrew Gabriel) wrote in news:48c8e75d$0 $50882$ snipped-for-privacy@news.aaisp.net.uk:

How very sorry I am to hear of Andy's sad and untimely death. Please pass on my very sincere condolences to his family.

As a long time lurker and occasional contributor to uk.d-i-y I appreciated his constructive comments on matters as diverse as DIY tools through to network attached storage devices. With the all-too- late knowledge of his background, I now understand the depth of experience from which those comments came.

He will be missed

Reply to
Richard Perkin

I think everything has been eloquently put already. I too am a frequent lurker and very occasional poster. Andy responded to my first ever question here with advice I took and have never regretted.

Very sad news indeed my thoughts are with his family.

God bless you Andy R.I.P.

Andy Barron

Reply to
Andy Barron

it.http://www.monkeyworld.co.uk/topic.php?TopicID=279&Template=standard>>

> --

I'm sorry to hear of Andy's death. I have received much valuable advice from this group, of course including valuable advice from Andy that I will refer to throughout my future endeavours. My thoughts are with his family and friends. Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

Can I nominate this as the funniest post I have ever seen on Usenet?

Ian

Reply to
The Real Doctor

Please yourself! However, I'm not aware that anyone else found it in the least hilarious - even though one or two appear to have thought it patronising towards DIY-ers' partners.

I was actually making a serious point that if a DIY-er (of either sex) introduces technical innovations on which both partners depend but only one understands, there is a potential problem if the innovator is no longer there.

Reply to
Roger Mills

That's so sad. He was my age, how unfair! (Mind you, if you gotta go...)

I knew him from the diabetes groups, and peripherally at work - he was a fun guy to be with, holding some very strongly held positions, but always interested in another point of view. I'll miss his polemics on the NHS particularly :P

Condolences to his family.

Nicky

Reply to
nicola.moxey

How old was he, actually?

Reply to
Frank Erskine

I am not much longer for this world, departing for a better (hopefully!) place on Monday week [Melbourne]. I've looked after our church heating (installed by myself and others) for 30+ years and now it's a case of handing over responsibility to a much less technical person. In preparation I have taken out a couple of stats to simplify it, and have added a one-touch limited time override so that if someone walks in and there is no heating they have the solution to hand.

But writing a Dummy's guide is quite challenging - explaining the wonders of a CM67 in simple language etc.

But truth be told I should have done this years ago - if I had suddenly dropped dead in past years, the others might well have struggled to understand the system.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

How very, very sad.

I only 'knew' Andy through his postings on uk.d-i-y but always thought they were well worth reading (even though I still think he was wrong on laminate flooring!).

That's very very sad news. I'm shocked.

I'm late onto this thread as I don't lurk here as often as I did. I had the privilege to meet him at one of the southern uk.diy meets, with PoP and Andrew G.

R.I.P. Andy.

Condolences to his Wife, family and children.

He will be missed on this forum.

Paul.

Reply to
zymurgy

I can't think of a better reason to organise a reunion meet, but I won't hijack this thread.

Let's take it to another post.

Regards,

Paul.

Reply to