Andy Hall

It's little consolation for not being there, but there are some picture which Geoff took at one of the London meetings on my website at

just added another picture of Andy on at the end (not taken at that event).

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I'd like to add my name to the growing list of those expressing their sadness.

Through the wonders of Google I've just been looking back at questions which I asked the good people of uk.d-i-y to which Andy gave answers. Until I did that I hadn't actually realised how much help he'd given me over the years, and how many things in this place owe something to his advice. He was always generous with his help, and remarkably patient given some of stupid things I've asked at times. His contributions embody the spirit of uk.d-i-y and what makes it so agreeable.

I can't imagine what his family must be feeling, but I'd like to pass on my condolences.

Martin

Reply to
Martin Pentreath

That would be a nice thing to do, for all of us who aren't in contact with the family.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Not much I can add to this - sad, sad news indeed :-(

Never met him, but have had plenty of "discussions" on here over the years.

Best hope for everyones sake heaven isn't paved in laminate or someone will have hell to pay :-)

He'll be missed in here, it'll not be the same without him :-(

Darren

Reply to
dmc

Yes, I agree. Not sure I've anything worth quoting about Andy that hasn't already be said better by others but please, add my name to any card.

Darren :-(

Reply to
dmc

Owain gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Now _that_ is a particularly appropriate line.

Reply to
Adrian

I haven't been on this NG for some time but I know Andy was a regular poster. I just saw a thread the other day wondering where he was and now I see this. I'm really sorry.

Didn't always agree with his insistence on buying the most expensive tools..lol.. but he did give a lot of good advice including some to my DIY queries.

Reply to
daddyfreddy

He was one of a very few people on my Highlight list. Their posts light up red. I never wanted to miss his contributions.

I'm not surprised to learn he was a Technical Director. The Memorial is a nice touch on their website.

His family are in my prayers.

R.

Reply to
TheOldFellow

Losing this man leaves a space that will require several to fill.

Remembering his opinions on quality power tools was always a welcome read although sometimes infuriating :) A couple of weeks ago I began looking forward to the next Andy Hall Quality Power Tool 'Seminar' in order to 'offer' something but I've missed that chance now.

I'm remembering the Prof Toff, this day.

Arthur

Reply to
Arthur2

As a regular lurker and very occassional contributer I'd like to add my condolences to his family. I always read his posts with interest, although I didn't always agree with him - especially around his view on cheap tools. Anyway, I'll miss the old sod. R.I.P Andy Hall

Iain, in Pudsey

Reply to
Swarfmaker

Not old enough. 8-(

Reply to
dennis

What sad news. My last message exchange with Andy was a biscuit pun. Good to have a happy memory.

Reply to
Paul Herber

To add my name to the list - so sudden, and scarily young.

If it is any consolation for his family, it was better for him to go to sleep and never wake up than to survive disabled as so many do.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

In article , Andy Champ scribeth thus

Indeed.. but he was just too young;(...

Reply to
tony sayer

Please put my name on the card too.

I've always valued Andy's contribution, and shared his general outlook. I'd like to think that he has contributed more than mere practical advice, but also valuable advice on how best to consider things for yourself.

Farewell Andy.

Reply to
Ron Lowe

In message , Andrew Gabriel writes

Really sorry to hear that

I sometimes wondered how he managed to find the time to fit work in around his dedication to uk-diy

I met him a couple of times, and he'll be sorely missed

Reply to
geoff

My father in law went like that. He looked so peaceful the next day.

I am not a believer, but if he is there, God bless Andy, I always admired his very knowledgeable posts to this group.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Andy, thanks for letting us know. Kind of explains why my "are you ok" email went unanswered!

I am deeply saddened by the news. My thoughts are with his family and friends at this time.

I think when I first stumbled across uk.d-i-y some six years ago or so, Andy was one of the first posters that truly made a lasting impression on me, and he helped set the tone for the group as a whole. I was thrilled to have found such a great collection of like minded people with wide and diverse interests and knowledge who were so willing to devote their time. Andy's devotion to providing detailed and comprehensive answers to questions even when from people just "dropping in" to the newsgroup was inspiring, and I felt a yardstick by which ones contributions could be measured.

I will miss not only his detailed contributions, and advice, but also the humour, and the joy of someone else who liked the occasional bad pun as well!

Reply to
John Rumm

Poor sod, he'll be missed greatly :-(

The one saving grace is hopefully he won't have suffered too much :-/

RIP Andy

Reply to
Colin Wilson

"The Singer, not (always) the song."