Andy Hall

How very sad. He will be greatly missed.

My condolences to his family.

Reply to
Anne Welsh Jackson

In message , Andrew Gabriel writes

I'm saddened. Truly. Andy had his own opinions, and was not backward in coming forward, but I mean that as a compliment. I enjoyed occasional debates with him, and truly appreciated his advice.

Does anyone know how old Andy was? I'm guessing late forties.

Reply to
Graeme

What a sad loss for his family and this group. He will be sorely missed. This newsgroup will never be the same without you and all the help you have given. There is something to be said for someone who will give their time away for free helping others that they will never meet for real. Rest in peace Andy our thoughts and prayers are with you.

God Bless

Sam Thank you for all your help Andy even though I never told you how much you have help me specifically I couldnt have done my house without you.

Reply to
Samantha Booth

Jings, I'm really sad to hear it. I'd assumed he was off seeing to the massive business empire. I'll miss the irascible, but thoroughly worthwhile git.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Shit.

Thats not right.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Thank you for letting us know. That is really sad news.

I hope Andy got as much from the group of what he gave to it.

The power tools have spun down and the lid of the toolbox closed.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Beautifully put. May I take the opportunity to add my condolences. The response here has been truly touching and as other have said, I hope his family can see the appreciative sentiment expressed in this NG.

Andy C

Reply to
Andy Cap

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember snipped-for-privacy@cucumber.demon.co.uk (Andrew Gabriel) saying something like:

Ah, bugger. Really, really sorry to hear that - the place definitely won't be the same without his good-humoured (and sometimes pig-headed) defence of quality.

Pass on my condolences, if you are still in touch with her.

Please ask her to make sure the coffin/urn is made of the finest materials and delivered by hand-selected veiled maidens. He'd appreciate that.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

The Natural Philosopher coughed up some electrons that declared:

Although it will be no consolation for Andy's family at this time, if a man can leave this world thought of so highly by even people he hasn't met, he's done well. But, no, it's not right.

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

Not to mention his views on laminate flooring.

He will be will sadly missed on this newgroup for both his very good advice and his sense of humour

My condolences to his family.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadworth

The message from snipped-for-privacy@cucumber.demon.co.uk (Andrew Gabriel) contains these words:

Very sad news.

I have been busy today so have come late to this thread so will just say that I agree with all the good things that have been already said about Andy. He will surely be greatly missed.

My condolences to his family.

Reply to
Roger

Here Here!

Reply to
The Nomad

What I could do is put together a card with the relevant paragraphs quoted from this thread attached. It is very touching, I've got quite a lump in my throat just reading through them. I won't do anything until sometime next week, to allow those who dip into the newsgroup less often the opportunity to comment. (May need a little editing to move them from a brash Usenet context to an In Memorium context.)

I've always admired and respected Andy's posts, and he will be a great loss to the newsgroup. I met him a number of times at the DIY meetings we had in London and Berkshire areas. His area of business was similar to mine, although we never actually worked together on anything. However, I did use him as a voice of reason and logical thought when I was weighing up two slightly different career paths, where his advice was just as valuable as his comments here have always been.

I will certainly miss him, and my thoughts are with his parents, wife, and children.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I am now thoroughly annoyed with myself. No such meeting having been mentioned in ages, I had thought to suggest one earlier this summer. (Circumstance made this difficult, so I did not do so.) I certainly would like to have met Andy. I am finding it poignant that those posts of his that I most appreciated were on OT health issues.

Please put my name to any such card - and if I have said anything quotable, do so.

Reply to
Rod

I am so sorry to hear that Andy has died, he will be missed

I appreciated being able to trust that he would always have his facts right .. and his opinionated views

My condolences to his family

Anna

-- Anna Kettle Lime plaster repair and conservation Freehand modelling in lime: overmantels, pargeting etc Tel:    (+44)  01359 230642 Mob:  (+44)  07976 649862 Please look at my website for examples of my work at:

Anna Kettle

That's a tragedy.

I met him in Exeter before an Axminster tool show at Westpoint one time. He was a gentleman.

My condolences to his family.

Al Reynolds

Reply to
Al Reynolds

Thanks for letting us know this terrible and shocking news Andrew.

I will certainly miss his expert contributions on many many subjects, and of course the occasional entertaining run-ins with "Dr Drivel", etc. His contributions were often laced with his wicked sense of humour.

I never met the guy but had a great respect for his views and advice. He steered me towards several excellent products with his constant search for perfection - boilers, garage doors, fridges particularly spring to mind.

I'm sorry I never made it to one of the uk.d-i-y meets - sadly I won't now have the chance to put a face to the name.

My sincere condolences to his family.

Simon Stroud.

Reply to
Simon Stroud

I'm always one of the last to comment on announcements such as these even though usually one of the first to see them it would seem. I never know just what to say or how to say it. I'm a bit rubbish with this sort of stuff, so bare with me... For me no-one "passes away" for that indicates they leave those they loved, places they appreciated and tasks they enjoyed behind. Passed over, crossed over, gone to the other side, how ever it's termed, it's _never_ "passed away" !

I, like many (most)others here I didn't know Andy Hall personally so I can't relate to him as just "Andy" for me he will always be "Andy Hall" a man with great input into the group who's opinions and thoughts will be greatly missed and always respected.

No doubt he will be keeping an eye on his family from the other side and giving guidance in whatever way he can to anyone that asks him for DIY spiritual assistance. The answers that come to us in light of sleep are I believe answers from those that have passed before us and those who are always in our thoughts.

My thoughts and wishes go to everyone touched by Andy Hall; friends,familly, aquaintances and those like myself that only knew him as a source of wisdom in the realms of uk.d-i-y

Andy Hall, gone but never forgotten.

Pete.

Reply to
www.GymRatZ.co.uk

Oh no. I just can't believe that, what a tragedy.

I'm going to miss the guy, things won't be quite the same around here anymore.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

As a long-time lurker and occasional poster, you echo my sentiments completely. My condolences to his family and friends.

Reply to
Grumps