And you thought some of the English building regs were OTT?

Not always.

Reply to
Pete Shew

these simply by increasing the cost of their houses from eye-watering to

How much does such a system cost to retro-fit to an existing, say, 4-bed house? Did your house/flat come with a system, or did you add one later?

Reply to
Grumps

I believe that class of car uses petrol. They run 100mph+ slower than the top-class cars.

Reply to
Alan

Very tiny fuel tank on those.

Didn't you see it? Got there too late, in any case.

That's a valid point, but waiting around while Nomex-clad marshals turn up might be a bit on the long side. Given that the majority of marshals are volunteers, and all different shapes and sizes, who would provide the Nomex? I would hope that the Pod and other venues would have sufficient funds to Nomex-equip all of its marshalling staff, but I wouldn't hold my breath. The alternative is for all marshals to buy their own kit and that would be quite prohibitive for many of them.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Useful in multi-storey or multiple-occupancy.

Not much use in small domestic, the trigger systems would have to respond quicker than smoke. We still lack sufficient smoke alarms in the UK, which would be a better use of money.

Lobbyists have been pushing this one for a decade, with all variety of statistics which will end up as a "if anyone asks" whitepaper filed in government. Insurers will like it though, re leak/failure applicable premium greater than payout. Tradesmen will like it re gold plated body for installation & maintenance. Houses are a vehicle for non- china job creation, nothing else.

The only viable domestic sprinkler is a foam unit in a kitchen, that I would go for. Just a matter of aesthetics (remote tank fitted on cupboard with hose leading to nozzle discretely placed on ceiling). That combined with natural gas detector re elderly (although reliable units are expensive and still poisoned after a few years).

Reply to
js.b1

In article , Grimly Curmudgeon scribeth thus

Even so that fire took hold very quickly..

Yes at the 3:00 mins point ..

Well I just wonder what the liability issues are even if they are volunteers. I work in an organisation that has volunteers but it seemed according to the H&S person we spoke with they are no different to paid staff...

So a Marshall gets seriously injured or burnt and sues Santa pod raceway etc and their insurer says that did they have the correct PPE for that occasion and they didn't, they'll I suppose are going to what to know why?.. Y/N?...

Reply to
tony sayer

In message , tony sayer wrote

All those marshals fighting the fire were wearing fireproof clothing.

In my experience any problem on track is dealt with in an efficient manner. Within 15/30 seconds one or two fire fighting vehicles will be in attendance, as will be the doctor, ambulance and the vehicle carrying the cutting gear.

Reply to
Alan