And now the dishwasher is tripping the electrics

After having a problem recently with our AEG dishwasher (circulation pump motor, which was sorted) it's now got another problem.

As soon as you turn it on (using the button on the front) it trips the RCBO on the ring main.

I've had a look to see if I could see any dodgy wiring, or something that was wet, or an obviously failed component etc. that might be causing it but I can't see anything obvious.

Suggestions for trouble shooting it welcome, or after all these years (maybe about 14) of working fine is it trying to tell me something ? :-)

Reply to
chris French

Try to narrow it down. I would disconnect in turn the heating element main pump and drain pump disconnecting both wires in each case and taping them up safely before applying power.

You might be able to see the earth leakage on a multimeter, in which case you can safely do the tests "cold".

Reply to
Graham.

First guess would be the heating element. Second, a mains filter (probably sited close to the switch).

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Mains suppressor Wiring loom where it passes into the door through the hinge Heater Leak (check shaft seals on the pumps, leaking back into motor windings)

Andrew Gabriel

Interesting that one. Assuming the programmer is in the start position, the only thing in circuit is the program/timer itself and possibly the water valve. The usual suspect (heater) is not on line till later in the program.

This points to a fault between earth and neutral which surprisingly can also cause a trip. (You can check this by disconnecting neutral in the plug as a first test, keeping the wire clear of others) & see if this clears the tripping.

This where you need an insulation tester. If the fault is a bad one you might detect it with an ordinary multimeter. Failing both, all you can do is disconnect items until the fault disappears. You will need to disconnect both live and neutral sides (keeping the cable ends safe while you run the machine)

Reply to
harryagain

Heating element perhaps?

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

If the machine has buttons on the door, check the cable between the machine and the door.

Reply to
Toby