And now I've seen it all ...

Don't be silly. Oh, it's you.

It is, however, a very good indication of other issues.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

Explaining the situation, followed by "see you in court" usually focuses minds.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

+1
Reply to
Huge

This is all very simple; when the parking operator sends its demand for money, you put it, and any correspondence that follows it, in the bin.

Reply to
Huge

Yes. I hadn't considered that. So, rephrasing, they haven't bothered to adjust the headlight setting when fully loaded:-)

Reply to
Tim Lamb

However, a taxi that is setting down or picking up passengers is not parked.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

The design of the rear light clusters on my Disco III is brilliant. Lifting the tailgate reveals 2 large screws, undo those and the whole cluster comes off and you can change the bulbs by hand. I can only assume that whoever was responsible once had to change a rear bulb on a Disco II and still looks at the scars from time to time to remind him.

Reply to
Huge

I keep meaning to mount a photographic flashgun facing backwards in the rear window for the benefit of tailgaters, especially those with main beams on.

Reply to
Huge

That would not suit me. There is an unmanned car park at a beauty spot I know where you have to type in your registration when you buy the ticket. I always have to go back to the car to look.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

YMYA.

Reply to
Huge

In message , Arfa Daily writes

4/4s often have headlights mounted such that they shine directly on your wing mirrors when following closely.
Reply to
Tim Lamb

Common enough in the 1960s.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Eh? I never even attempted to do the rear lights on my DII from the rear (oh er missus!). The half dozen or so screws that hold the whole cluster to the body work are a bit of PITA but then you can take the cluster inside get warm and change the bulbs easyly. B-)

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

IIRC, on my Dad's Mk 1 Ford Consul, the dip switch was a foot-operated button, to the left of the clutch pedal.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

Wrong side or not you still can't see if anybody has door open or is moving around a parked car with it's head lights on.

Seems that only two positions a taught for the light switches, all on (inc front fogs) or all off.

I go to main beam in the hope I might get enough back to see if there is some body or a door open. Did that the other night and the dipped lights did go off, some one was leaning into the car to do it but I didn't see them until they turned off their dipped head lights... I then turned my main beam off.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Wouldn't need to be a flash gun just a brief burst froma and LED torch. I'd also use it for those horribly hard cut off HIDs. Mate has a Merc with those he followed me out of Dumfries the other night, every single large bump in the road and it seemed he was flashing his lights. Fortunately being in a Discovery by the time he was behind me I can't see headlights at all, but I'd hate to have been in a lower car.

Mentioned it to him and he got, and still is, most defensive. But did complain that my main beam wasn't enough for him to over take? Eh? if his lights are so good he doesn't need to use mine! I suspect it's the hard cut off, he has a pool of brightness, that reduces his night vision, and there is nothing beyond the cut off. Normal halogen headlights have some spill that illuminate, to some extent, beyound the cut off.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I suspect a mirror, appropriately chosen and positioned, would do quite a good job.

Reply to
polygonum

Reply to
Java Jive

Again, IMO this IS a clear breach of the DPA - how do they know who the registered keeper is? (S)he has committed no criminal offence, so the 'official' DVLA and police systems can not be used 'officially', so that leaves the databases used to quote for insurance purposes, which is a use not intended by consumers when they volunteer the data.

For some time I have had a dodgy back, which recently has become so bad that I frequently have to lift myself into my car by grabbing the roof-rail, to do which I need to guarantee to be able to open the door fully. Consequently, when I can't find an end space, I often park in the Disabled or Parents With Children bays of supermarket car parks, though, as walking is not a problem to me, I always choose the furthest from the store.

Reply to
Java Jive

Thass right, as it was on my first Mini. This made it more awkward to flash people in the mid-late 60s, but I still did it.

Reply to
Tim Streater