Analogue hi-fi tuner --- useless?

tony sayer wrote: [snip]

Radio 3 was transmitted at 320kb/s when I had a Psion DAB receiver.

Reply to
Steve Firth

I thought they were forced to sell of the transmitter network by the government of the day - part of opening up broadcasting to competition? Even although the end result was a monopoly.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Arqiva, that well-known radio engineering company?

Frank Erskine

"Our core assets include the UK terrestrial broadcast network together with teleports and media hubs at key locations around the world"

Beam me up scotty, and damn the photon torpedoes..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

In article , charles scribeth thus

The English disease;(...

Reply to
tony sayer

That must have been for a very short period! ISTR that most all receivers in use nowadays can't cope with more than 256 K not that anyone is using that of course..

Reply to
tony sayer

Yes they usually fire expensive knowledgeable senior engineers to pay for additional bean counters and management consultants.

Reply to
Martin Brown

As a matter of interest, I downloaded one of the BBC's recent binaural broadcasts (Private Peaceful) and I see that it was encoded at 320K. I can't recollect whether the radio broadcast was only bog-standard stereo (my bss download was at 128K) and the experimental ones were download only but I recall the (5.1??) surround sound file was over a gig in size.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Odell

In article , Nick Odell scribeth thus

FWIW ... BBC Radio 3 is available on 320 K MP3 on the net and very good it is too!....

Reply to
tony sayer

Or they employ scientists and engineers on short term contracts and then ignore everything that they say.

Reply to
Steve Firth

As one scientific adviser to the government recently paraphrased it so succinctly "policy driven evidence has replaced evidence driven policy".

Reply to
Martin Brown

I shuddered at the radio today. Some witch or shaman was claiming to be able to tell if someone is suitable for a job from their handwriting. The gullible reporter gave her a sample of his handwriting and she commented in the usual cack fortune teller terms mouthing platitudes about dynamism and well planted letters that showed strength of character.

He asked her how this worked and she declared that it worked because she believes it works.

Utter, pathetic drivel. She'd be as well off divining talent to do a job by reading the entrails of chickens.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Tee-hee. That's exactly what I told the HR pod person at Standard Chartered when I interviewed there for a job about 15 years ago and they wanted me to give a sample of handwriting for "graphological analysis". I wrote it in block capitals. I assume I didn't get the job; I'm still waiting to hear.

Reply to
Huge

OK, some apologist from the BBC appeared on Feedback some time ago, trying to justify the degradation in performance in an attempt to "fit more in". Is that better?

Reply to
Steve Firth

My guess is the vast majority of those with DAB radios are happy with the sound quality. So, yes, prefer more stations to an improvment in that.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)