An opportunity for the Medway Handyman...

...to give a big chunk of your profits away:

could they offer that would make a franchise a better option than setting up on your own??

Reply to
mike

I've always wondered, with a name like that, if the franchisees are expected to do more than just repairs and maintenence...

Reply to
Bob Eager

Bloody sexist Aussies! Hire a over here, mate!

Reply to
David WE Roberts

National marketing of the brand.

The question is does that make any difference in this market?

OTOH

"Hubbies have their own exclusive territory with an average of 7,500 households plus all the commercial and retail outlets".

How can anyone make a business in an area of 7,500 households. Dave's must be 20 times that size.

tim

Reply to
tim....

1 handyman per 150,000 households?

It must be his personality.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

  • a lot of hubbies?
Reply to
dennis

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Bob Eager saying something like:

Confessions of a Decking Guy?

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Population of Medway is 253,500, at roughly 2.4 persons per household thats

106,000 households approx.

I'm not the only one operating in the area, although I was the first operating a professional type service on par with the franchises.

I'm of course limited by being a one man band. If I wanted to employ people & resister for VAT I could easily treble the turnover.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Bob Eager wibbled on Wednesday 30 June 2010 18:01

Are you expected to turn up to fix the tap:

a) sporting a Paul Morrow from Space 1999 proper moustache;

b) wearing leather shorts;

c) not actually fix the tap?

Reply to
Tim Watts

People have been sent to the gulags for less.

Reply to
dom

They say: All of our handymen are backed by a corporate office, dedicated to providing further support to the growing network of Hubby?s.

Maybe they studied music and grocery cos that apostrophe aint right and thats a corporate website homepage not an email!

[g]
Reply to
george [dicegeorge]

Hmmmm. The ME2 postcode has nearly twice that amount of households.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Not sure it works quite as intended here anyway... Most women here probably associate "hubby" with "no good at DIY, and leaves jobs half done" anyway (present company excepted of course!)

Reply to
John Rumm

To be fair, I went through a huge learning curve in the first 2 or 3 years. Still learning, but not as bad.

I could now tell someone how to avoid a lot of problems, but would it be worth the fee or the %?

I might write the book one day.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

"The Medway Handyman" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Which isn't really what the franchise is about - there's no way they're giving much in the five-day training course.

What they're _really_ selling in the franchise is a slice of the brand and the marketing that goes along with it.

Reply to
Adrian

To me that looks very similar to the way some SOHO IT support outfits are currently working, and their 'staff wanted' adverts placed via the directgov's job centre don't exactly entice my interest.

e.g.

"This is a self employed vacancy. Must have experience in software, hardware, fault finding and a minimum A plus qualification. Must have full driving licence, own transport and mobile phone. Duties include fault finding, the repair and replacement of parts and any other associated tasks. Could applicants state availability when applying. The company has given an assurance that this vacancy enables workers to achieve a wage equivalent to the National Minimum Wage rate. Self-employed people are responsible for paying their own National Insurance contributions and Tax. "

So if ye are so qualified what's the point of offering yourself for these pimps, or going it alone?

Stick a business profile up on facebook/linkin, or a card in a phone box and ye will be run off your feet with new leads, as each unstable PC and user eventually succumbs to the inevitable windows inspired tradegy...

Reply to
Adrian C

In message , mike writes

Free shag with every order

wait a minute, where's Adam ?

Reply to
geoff

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Adrian C saying something like:

XP and system restore killed off a large proportion of that market.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Your site implies there are more than one of you. ;-) S

Reply to
Spamlet

I thought you covered Maidstone as well

Obviously, but that "other" competition wouldn't go away if you were restricted by contract to a small part of the local area.

tim

Reply to
tim....