An invention for better dishwasher maintenance

Our dishwasher failed some months ago. It made a big noise, came to a full stop and its fuse was blown. There also came some smell of fire from it. Without any more inspection I made the quick decision that a repair would take too much time and money. Then I bought a used dishwasher via Internet for very little money.

When I checked the new item in our household, I was not at all surprised to see that some holes in its rotating arms were completely blocked by debris.

I did a Google search and found this:

Clear any debris out of the holes in spinning arms. Use fine pointed > or needle-nose pliers if you have some. Otherwise, try a toothpick or > something similar. Take care not to scratch anything if you're using > a tool with a metal point. If these holes are very small, bend a fine > wire with a tiny hook on one end. Thread the wire through the opening > most distal from the center of the arm. Each time you do this a small > amount of debris will come out. This is time consuming. Another > option is to drill a much larger hole at the end of the arm. Run the > washer to eject the matter, then plug the bigger hole with a > stainless steel screw.

It is a time consuming job, but there is no need for a drill. If you find that your dishes are not as clean as they used to be, some dishwasher maintenance may be needed.

Today I had another check and again one of the holes in one of the rotating arms was blocked. This debris has been in the arm for a long time and I now found a better way to get it out. I put the rotating arm inside a plastic bag. In Norway we get plastic bags in the grocery store at the cost of kr 1.00. If you are green like harry you can buy the more expensive paper bags, but they are useless for this job. I made a hole in the plastic bag so that water can flow into the small holes and out through the big hole in the rotating arm. Water is now flowing into the plastic bag in the washing room in the cellar, where no harm is done if water find another way and start flowing onto the floor.

There is still no need for a drill. I have no picture of my invention, but I am sure that all except TNP can imagine how it works and that it works very well.

Reply to
Jo Stein

I hope your missus is wearing wellies when she's standing in the water arsing around with the dish washer.

The rotating arms have to be put together - therefore it should be possible to take them apart. My Bosch washer arms came apart in seconds.

Reply to
Eric

Since I check and clean these once a month, when I clean the filters, top up the salt, etc. I have never had a problem.

Of course, I read the manual.

Reply to
Bob Eager

This is a SIEMENS dish washer. Its construction is very similar to your BOSCH washer. They are made by clever people for clever customers; customers that know how to take a arm apart and who never allows debris to enter into it.

Here the problem was how to get out the debris that had entered the arm because of careless use of the machine by the previous owner. I picked out the arm from the machine in the kitchen and brought it to the cellar. There I packed it into a plastic bag in such a way that a lot of water could flow through the arm in the opposite direction - in through the small holes and out through the big hole. Now the arm is clean; never more will debris enter into it. My miss is always clean and happy.

Reply to
Jo Stein

That's odd, when I miss my wife is never happy.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

He's Norwegian.