An exciting Lidl purchase

I was visiting my partner's parents today an MIL had just bought a shower head from Lidl. Being a helpful soul I offered to fit it - easy bonus points! After just a few minutes it was back in the box and I was left wondering how many people will be calling the likes of TMH to replace their electric showers or deal with the flood from the water tank.

The box proclaims "A relaxing shower experience with reduced water consumption" and "Water saving function thanks to high pressure technology". What that means is that there is a valve between the hose and the head which allows the user to reduce or shut off the water during use *at the shower head*. Now in continental Europe where all water systems are high pressure hot and cold that's probably fine but here in the UK where we have a nice mix including high pressure cold with low pressure hot as well as heat-as-you-go electric things will get interesting. And not a warning in sight.

A relaxing shower experience. Not.

Reply to
Calvin Sambrook

technology".

heat-as-you-go

So you blew the pressure release on the electric shower? Tee Hee ! Tee Hee ! Tee Hee ! It's an easy repair, so don't worry to much about it.

You are correct though. These type items should tell you they are not suitable for instant shower appliances, because they have an off position on the head or hose. It is very easy to be caught out by them. ..

Reply to
BigWallop

Thanks for the heads up.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

In similar vein, you remind me that I had a 'phone call a few weeks ago from someone claiming to be from the govmint and offering a free something to do with a shower (usual barely comprehensible accent). Since you rarely get anything free from this direction I agreed to accept it, whatever it was. It arrived last week and turns out to be an "eage Showersmart" pressure reducer. You have to go through an experiment involving a supplied plastic bag to catch 5 seconds' worth of water to find out whether you have an "inefficient shower" and will benefit from the device.

I haven't tested this or fitted it yet, but as I have high pressure hot and low pressure cold, perhaps it won't work. The instructions say: "Do not use the eage ShowerSmart with electric showers, showers with multiple jets (where water comes out from more than one outlet) or rainwater showers as it will not work with these systems. The device can be used with power-shower systems which use mains fed hot water." No mention of mixed pressure supplies.

If fitted, it will allegedly save 6,000 litres of water per person per year, but not having a dirty/sweaty job and having been brought up in the era of post-WW2 economies where a wash at the handbasin was considered adequate for daily needs with a 3-inch-deep bath once a week, I don't use that much anyway.

Chris

Reply to
chrisj.doran

It is a greenwasher. You have now officially saved a Friends of the Sod certified 6,000 litres of (possibly organic) carbon water per person per year and delayed global warming by 3.4 nanoseconds.

They are becoming quite popular because every idiot greenies think that by sending them out to people to put in draws you are "doing something". Its the same scheme that gets you inundated with low life low light CFL bulbs to put in a draw.

As every greeny knows "doing something" is far more important than "achieving something" (mainly because achieving something involves nuclear energy and Greenpiece members must put their fingers in their ears and hum loudly when that is mentioned).

If you want more toys go to :

code is EF3 (case sensitive) Tick the "someone over 70" and put in an appropriate date. Set all the don't call me boxes appropriately. You get a £50 (supposedly) bundle of ecouseless-toys to play with and British Gas can claim to have saved a tree, or sheep, or an ecotax or something green and therefore "important".

Reply to
Peter Parry

I understand what you're driving at, but what's the point of heating and using more water than you need?

Rob

Reply to
Rob

You've also kept a small child in employment and helped pollute a Chinese river.

Mmm thank you, I think all the rellies will be getting eco-christmas presents this year!

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Fortunately not as I realised what would happen well before getting anywhere near a shower. However I'm sure there are less bonus points available for not causing a problem than for fitting it. Not only that but the valve at the head is fairly subtle so if you don't read the instructions and just fit it you may not even know about that feature until some time later when someone twists the plastic bit.

Reply to
Calvin Sambrook

Do they do a gift wrapping service?

Reply to
fred

Your incompetance is of no interest to anyone - apart from those who are now laughing at you.

Reply to
Clive

Interesting how a couple of people assume that I actually fitted the head. 'Fraid not, I'm far too lazy for that!

Reply to
Calvin Sambrook

"Clive" is never interested in the facts - only in how best to insult people.

Reply to
Bob Eager

In article , The Medway Handyman writes

Then why respond to him?

Trolls are just sad lonely people who crave attention.

If he posted his nonsense and it was simply ignored, how long do you think he would stay here?

Reply to
fred

Because the OP isn't a regular correspondent, but was never the less posting something informative & useful. Such people should be encouraged to post - not put off posting by nasty comments.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

He's posted 250 times in last six months and I'm sure he's a big enough boy to spot and deal with a sad, lonely wanker.

With respect, you are just adding to the noise and bypassing the kill filters of those who know how to filter usenet.

Reply to
fred

Thanks for everyone's concern over my wellbeing. I assure you I'm big enough and ugly enough to simply ignore the sad ones who live on the internet.

As I've been posting to usenet since the mid-1980's I've had much worse than that in the past too - just shrug and ignore.

Reply to
Calvin Sambrook

Obviously the offer will be extended - you have to have someone over 70 but their DOB (year dropdown) goes up to 2998...

Reply to
Geo