Amptec central heating boiler

Hi,

I live out in the countryside, away from mains gas. Our cottage is heated with a gravity feed solid fuel boiler. Recently, I've heard of these new electric boilers.

get a green electricity supply from Greenpeace, NPower/Juice. Converting to electricity for heating could seriously drop our carbon emissions.

Anybody else come across this boiler?

Phil Edwards

Reply to
Phil

| Hi, | | I live out in the countryside, away from mains gas. Our cottage is heated | with a gravity feed solid fuel boiler. Recently, I've heard of these new | electric boilers. | | |

| We get a green electricity supply from Greenpeace, NPower/Juice. Converting | to electricity for heating could seriously drop our carbon emissions.

If it is a local power supply can it supply 6/9/12 kw?

I have hears on BBC4 that "green electricity supply from Greenpeace, NPower/Juice" is a con and they put up their prices because oil prices had increased.

Nuclear/coal/naturalgas/windpower stations pump power into the National grid. Once in the grid there is absolutely *NO* way to separate them out again.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

Why do you think converting from solid fuel to electricity will reduce carbon dioxide emissions. I seriously doubt it unless Greenpeace buy their electricity from nuclear power stations.

Reply to
Fred

My sister had a flat with electric central hearing and the unbranded boiler had bitten the dust. Unfortunately, she wasn't allowed to fit an external flue or have gas fitted so a replacement boiler was the only option. At the time electric boilers were virtually unknown but we managed to track down the small factory that built Amptec/Amptec style things.

The one that I installed looked the same but had the inlet and outlet pipes located at the top of the unit at 90 degrees to each other, forming a "t" shape.

It was surprisingly straightforward to install and worked really well. Fuel costs I dunno-I wasn't paying the fuel bill!

A company called "Trianco" also make electric boilers which are available in B&Q.

sponix

Reply to
--s-p-o-n-i-x--

Here's the Trianco offering:

just called my sister and it was an Amptec that I installed (Presumably an older model). As it was easy to install and never broke down while she owned it I'd recommend it!

sponix

Reply to
--s-p-o-n-i-x--

It would seriously increase the overall carbon emissions. You wouldn't emit anything but some power stations would emit a lot more for you.

If you want to reduce emissions, I'd suggest a wood pellet boiler, a heat pump &/or oil.

Reply to
Aidan

I think it works like this...

Power company put you on a green tariff You use the electricity from the grid, this comes from green sources and normal power stations The power company must produce the amount of electricity you use from green sources

The power you actually use will probably not be 100% from green sources, but the amount you use is.

This is how I understand it anyway!

Sparks...

Reply to
Sparks

That's exactly how I see it.

Reply to
--s-p-o-n-i-x--

I suppose I shouldn't have mentioned the green electricity thing, The main thing I wanted to know was has anybody come across these central heating boilers and if so, do they do what it says on the box i.e. keep the house warm for not much more than I'm currently paying for anthracite.

I'm getting too old for going out to the coal bunker in the garden on freezing cold nights when the rain is coming down sideways. These boilers appear to be remarkably cheap. I'm just wondering how effective are they?

On the other hand, if anybody wants to debate the green energy / nuclear energy debate, then I'll gladly roll my sleeves up and take off my glasses.

All the best, Phil

Reply to
groeswenphil

Have you considered oil or LPG, etc? Electricity is always the most expensive fuel since the majority is generated from fossil fuels anyway - so it makes more sense to burn those direct for house heating.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)