Amp rating

Just a quick question I'd appreciate some advice on.

When buying components for fitting new lights do the component parts, i.e. cable, connector blocks, junction boxes all need to be the same 5 amp rating ?, or is it fine to use a higher rated part. I've got 15amp connector stripes, 10amp 1mm cable and 20amp junction box. Can these be used or should I buy all 5amp rated ?

Thanks for your help, Ian.

Reply to
Ian

More room in 20Amp junction boxes.

You'll be fine.

-- troubleinstore

mail can be sent via website. Email address in posting is ficticious and is intended as spam trap

Reply to
troubleinstore

In general as long as the current rating of all the components is

*more* than the current rating of the fuse/mcb protecting the circuit then you are OK. In fact I think you'd find it hard to get junction boxes less than 15 amp or so.

In the case of junction boxes and connection blocks the rating is really only an indication of the thickness of wires they will accomodate. If connecting a *lot* of lighting wires it can often make sense to use a '30 amp' junction box.

Reply to
usenet

The only thing you have to be careful of if using connectors much oversized for the cable is that you get a good connection - it's possible that the conductors get forced up the side of the screw.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

5A junction boxes are made but they are awkwardly small, hence they're not liked.
Reply to
Ed Sirett