American toilets

In article , Sam Nelson writes

This is one of my bugbears. I'd be willing to bet that the filthiest thing in most public loos is the handle on the inside of the door, which everyone has to use on their way out, both those that wash their hands and those that don't. It never seems to occur to cleaners to wash and/or disinfect them.

I raised this issue with the cleaning manager at my local hospital and was promised it would be looked into. Some hope.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

I've done that. It's unnerving!

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

There are some obscure prices in the area. It's cheaper to go from Nice airport to Monte Carlo by helicopter than by taxi - not that going to Monte Carlo is at all interesting - it's pretty much like the subject line of this thread.

Reply to
Andy Hall

"cramerj" typed

Alcohol is good for killing bugs and fair for removing junk from the skin. No bug-killer gets much of a chance if there's junk on the skin. Using sufficient alcohol to clean the skin uses something more expensive than water and would dry out the skin.

Soap (or detergent) and water are better and cheaper for cleaning the hands.

Reply to
Helen Deborah Vecht

Getting back to the original context to the question, also soap and detergents are not good for the environment, so Mary's real concern should not be about the use of a managed resource (wood) and it's waste being bio-degradable or recyclable in nature but the use of 'toxic' soap!

Reply to
Jerry

Approx 50E

Approx 75E

Airport bus to Cannes 13.70E Airport bus to Nice 4.0 E

Can't remember the price to Cannes from Nice, but I do remember checking that I had bought TWO tickets! It was something daft like 7E50 for two singles.

Reply to
Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)

I used to go between Nice airport and Sophia Antipolis quite often over the period 1989 - 1994, and similarly, cheapest route was by helicopter, although over that distance taxi was only slightly more expensive.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Don't touch it. Dry your hands, take a paper towel, open the door with it, then fold the "dirty" side inside and drop it in the next waste paper basket you pass. Or use a piece of loo rool.

This might seem a little paranoid, but far too many people don't wash their hands.

Reply to
Huge

Trouble is you need to extend the process to all door handles, not just the ones in the bog . . . and stuff like coins too . . . and handshaking . . . and, and, and, erk it's Howard Hughes time.

Reply to
bof

Quite. How many people get ill each year from touching toilet door handles?

Reply to
Mary Pegg

I have to confess that every time I've been ill in recent years I have touched a toilet door handle in the previous 24hrs, just goes to show eh?

Reply to
bof

OTOH I know some people who fall ill who *haven't* touched a toilet door handle in the previous 24 hours.

Reply to
Mary Pegg

Are they wannabe bears?

Reply to
bof

They're the people that didn't wash their hands in the first place.

Reply to
Sam Nelson

OTOH, when they've fallen ill, they more than make up for it ;-)

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Nope; the toilets don't have doors.

Reply to
Mary Pegg

How can anyone go for 24 hours without using the toilet? Oh - I suppose they don't have to open or close a door, just walk in and out :-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

"Mary Fisher" typed

They have to. I know of a Local Authority that closed all its public conveniences on Sundays...

Reply to
Helen Deborah Vecht

Exactly. If I'm at home I don't bother closing the door.

Reply to
Linz

Nor do we, but I though we were a minority!

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher