American toilets

Ripped off? If you want to pay less tax the government has to spend less. Is this a vote winner? David Cameron seems less than convinced.

The American system got me the first time I went there: I was mystified at street sellers in Chicago selling ice creams for 93c (of course = $1 with tax). The reason that US prices are ex tax, AIUI, is that not only does each state have its own tax rate, but each local city council can levy an additional amount - thus there are thousands of sales tax areas across the USA. It would impossible to force retailers to advertise inclusive prices since these will differ within relatively small areas, let alone those covered by regional and national media.

Personally I prefer the way we do it. Go to Australia and look at new car prices and you'll be envious. Then look at all the on-the-road additions, which of course we used to have. Better WYSIWP .

Reply to
Tony Bryer

Why pick on petrol?

Why not stick a 400% tax on all scarce or polluting resources.

Road fuel accounts for only a small percentage of energy use in GB.

DG

Reply to
Derek ^

How / why did this evolve in the USA? Let's hope it doesn't catch on - I hate it.

Reply to
John

Oh come on! I've been very impressed in the last few years. The Welsh public toilets on the roadside which I've used are excellent - and numerous. Most British service station lavs are clean and well serviced, the only problem (this is personal and doesn't apply everywhere anyway) is that some have piped music or radio.

If public lavs aren't clean it's the fault of the users. Of course no-one will admit to making them less than perfect ...

Your dumps are 'clean'?

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Yes.

And I noticed today that it's dropped by 6p a litre.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

development

A very simplistic way of looking at the issues involved...

Reply to
Jerry

On Wed, 23 Aug 2006 16:16:10 GMT someone who may be "Brian Reay" wrote this:-

Ripped off?

What do you think VAT pays for? Perhaps you could do without the health service, roads, the armed forces and so on, but I doubt if many would.

Reply to
David Hansen

It's actually illegal to display only ex-VAT prices. This is, of course so people don't realise how much they're being ripped off.

Reply to
Huge

This is because they are either innumerate or hypocrites or both.

Reply to
Huge

All together now...

Too much information !

(Seriously, perhaps loos are getting better. But with average time-to-replace at perhaps 10-20 years, there's a lot of crappy crappers out there that we'll have to suffer for a long time yet.)

Reply to
lairdy

No, it was to stop retailers ripping off customers, by displaying one price and charging another - after all if the customer can't work out what the VAT percentage is of the marked price what chance of them being able to work out the percentage that should be added to a ex-VAT price.

It was even more of a problem when it was not clear if the price quoted was ex-VAT or inc-VAT, one could get charged twice for the VAT!..

Reply to
Jerry

I've no idea, but I'll never forget seeing a plumber on This Old House going round a bog manufacturers. They had all the old standards of american bog (something crazy like 7 gallon cistern) and a European style bog, and a fluid dynamics lab etc. I'll never forget the plumbers face when he showed him how the european bog flushed, he looked like he'd just been told we all shit our pants instead of going to the lav...

Reply to
Doki

The earlier ones are probably rubbish, and the later ones good. As I said in another place, these bog manufacturers have CAD models of the fluid flow etc. now.

Reply to
Doki

No paper towels. Hot-air dryers don't work and are unsanitary. Would any of the businesspeople who have them installed use them at home? I don't think so.

Reply to
Adam Funk

David Hansen wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Well said that man!

Reply to
Mike the unimaginative

That might have been what was said. I don't believe it. You only have to look (preferably from a distance) at the metrication fascists to know what kind of people were involved.

Reply to
Huge

Hardly. It's unmitigated tosh.

Reply to
Huge

I've no problem paying for those things, along with education, sensible welfare scheme etc. However, I'd like to stem some of the other areas the money goes. Like the millions being sent to rebuild bridges in a country that harbours terrorists. And don't get me started on the money we fritter away in Europe.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Reay

It is.

People still pay.

Reply to
Andy Hall

One could delete the health service and save a substantial proportion of tax revenue....

Reply to
Andy Hall