american fridge freezer

hi. i`ve bought one of those large american fridge freezers but its causing a lot of condensation on the wall behind it. its damaging the plaster. ive pulled it away from the wall about a foot but cant go further because the kitchen isnt that wide. any ideas on what i can do please?

Reply to
ady804

Provide better ventilation to the area behind

That seems strange. Never heard of that. The coils on the back of our North American fridge, the second we have had in that identical location are if anything warm to the touch as they get rid of the heat pumped from inside the fridge. Or could it be humidity from an automatic (timer controlled) defrost container on the back or bottom of the fridge being evaporated by the warm fridge coils condensing onto the cool wall?. We never have to physically empty our defrost drain container. Or is the warmth of the coils causing moisture to be evaporated out of a damp plaster wall? The wall behind our fridge is 36 year old 3/8th plasterboard with plastic vapour barrier immediately behind it. Would it be worthwhile attaching a plastic sheet to the wall? Seeing however that this is the second current posting on this news group about dampness; is the house humidity too high during the winter weather due to inadequate ventilation? Thence there is slight circulation of air due the fridge heat that causes too humid house air to rise up the cool wall and condense on it.

Reply to
terry

If its a frost free fridge then the internal condensate may be piped onto the "hot" compressor where it will evaporate and condense on anything cold nearby like a wall.

Reply to
Fred