American Faucets - Taps to us in the UK

I noticed that the water from most of the taps seems to be aerated giving it a really soft feel - great for hand washing. Also some shower heads have a similar feature.

Do any UK fittings offer this? How is it achieved?

Reply to
John

dunno about US/UK but our kitchen tap has a fine mesh in it which causes the water stream to be aerated. However I suspect it's

*primary* puropose is to reduce the force of the water jet, to stop it splashing up, as that's what it does if you remove it !

try sticking a bit of metal gauze over the tap ....

Reply to
Jethro

Type in "tap aerator" in google.co.uk. There are conversion kits. Or buy a tap that has it anyway - usually fancy mixer taps. Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

Basin tap I bought from Wickes some 8 years ago is aerated.

I fitted a nossle on the kitchen tap which allows you to switch between an aerated flow and a shower type spray, and to direct/aim it where you want. It was made by Adapt-A-Tap,

need a tall tap outlet though, as it loses you significant height. It's fitted to an IKEA tap, which had a total absense of any sort of sensible nossle, but is quite tall.

It works by using the water pressure to make a small jet which entrains air, and then passing it through a gause. The Adapt-A-Tap above sucks air in through the shower holes, and may explain why it's taken about

8 years before it needed descaling, much longer than any other taps here.
Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

My mixer taps in house have a screw in 'fine mesh' which goes over the tap outlet ..... makes the water feel silky. Only place there isn't one is on bath filler - assume due to it slightly restricting flow rate.

I first came across these in German in 1982 ... and I was doing a renovation in UK at time ... and traced such taps -- Ideal Standard.

They are now much more common place.

Reply to
Rick Hughes