Amazon stealth deliveries

my last delivery from 7dayshop was for 9 items and they arrived in 7 lots. I suspect it's so they'll go through most doors, as the VAT reason has gone.

Reply to
PeterC

Ah yes, they are very good at that sort of thing. Not sure how they do it, but a friend suspects they are using trained squirrels. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Amazon who? All the stuff I bought for Christmas was DPD and/or Royal Mail. I guess that Amazon Logistics will cherry pick the areas they deliver to, densely populated areas only. Not ones like here where the drops are all several minutes if not tens of minutes drive apart.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Well now, through Amazon, that's covered. I ordered an android tablet through marketplace. Almost the second the money was taken, the lights went out, and the companies Amazon page was filling up with stories of non-delivery.

I waited till the delivery date - no tablet. Reported it via Amazons systems, and had a refund a week later, when the seller failed to respond to Amazons inquiry (which is what Amazons T&Cs say).

Reply to
Jethro_uk

I guess that's an YMMV or FSVO. Round here (Brum) Amazons own delivery service is the best of the lot. Apart from the weird (but understandable) practice of preventing early deliveries. A few times the van has pulled up, and waited 5-10 minutes before the driver comes to the door. The machine won't accept a delivery confirmation before the earliest estimated time.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Was fine just before Christmas, stuff seemed to picked and packed before your finger had left the mouse button after clicking "Order". B-)

Not so good now, ordered some things in the wee small hours of Sunday morning. 1000 Monday morning notification from the market place seller that their stuff had been "disptached". So far nothing from Amazon other than the order confirmation...

They probably have a priority system in the order processing queue, free delivery starts low and every so ofen gets an automatic review bumping up the priority as the last posting date approaches. certainly once stuff has been picked and packed the transit time is the same.

Wether you class that sort of things as "intentional" or just a side effect of good order processing management is debateable.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Last year, I bought an HP Laser printer from Amazon. It didn't work (it wouldn't grab paper from the tray). Amazon took care of a replacement quickly and efficiently, with DPD dropping a new one off one day, and picking the first one up in the new one's packing the next day. I have no issues with them at all, and always receive items with free delivery on or before the anticipated date. And they told me to keep the first one's toner cartridges, which are tricky to ship anyway.

Reply to
Davey

I'd hazard a guess they haven't invested in systems capable of such.

One feature Amazon is missing, (unless they've introduced it since I last noticed it's absence) is to aggregate a list of second hand books, and see if they are available from a *single source*. Because buying 10 £0.10 books from 10 different sources with £3 postage on each isn't going to happen. But a £1 order with £5 postage might.

Also (and I emailed them years ago about this) it would be nice to add things to your wishlist from the search results directly.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

3 years ago, Wednesday before good Friday, I ordered a drive from eBuyer, and paid for next day delivery. Of course, Thursday it wasn't delivered. Chasing (over an hour :( ) between eBuyer and Parcelforce descended into a he-said, she said over whether eBuyer had specified next day (POF said they hadn't). Either way, I didn't see the drive until the following Tuesday.
Reply to
Jethro_uk

I once worked for a logistics software company. The heart of the software was a comprehensive weighting algorithm which allowed you to specify your vehicle characteristics (capacity, cost/mile-cost/hour) and integrated (via CSVs) into back office systems. When correctly configured, it would give you a pretty accurate cost/item for delivery.

Most hauliers ran their orders through it, and those below a certain profitability were farmed out to Royal Mail.

In my time there, it's average impact on a haulier was to reduce their fleet by 10%.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

The address label ought to have stated the requested service, though.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Same with DPD (which Amazon used here yesterday)

Reply to
Bob Eager

Interesting, but it takes a lot of orders to get the £78 back... The biggest drawback with Prime is that it comes with the totally unwanted movies/music/books/photo bollocks. Wish there was an option for the old £30 just free next day delivery service. Had that (accidentally) for a year just before they added the bollocks and doubled the price. At £30 it was good but not at £78.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

How fully and expectedly British!

Reply to
Tim Watts

alo because thye don't seem to have on central warehouse. I've had deliveries from the UK, two sources, as well as the Netherlands.

Reply to
charles

(top-posted for Brian)

Heh. trained squirrels :)

They're about to start using drones for deliveries in America - from Ars Technica:

"So Prime Air is a future delivery service that will get packages to customers within 30 minutes of them ordering it online at Amazon.com," he told Yahoo News. "The goals we've set for ourselves are: The range has to be over 10 miles. These things will weigh about 55 pounds each, but they'll be able to deliver parcels that weigh up to five pounds. It turns out that the vast majority of the things we sell at Amazon weigh less than five pounds."

En el artículo , Brian Gaff escribió:

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

It did - standard. Amazingly enough, PF were telling the truth. I suspect eBuyer had a SOP to charge for NDD and hope it would happen naturally so no one would be any the wiser. Either way, I have no intention of using eBuyer ever again, and have managed for nearly 3 years like that. There are plenty of places to order techie stuff (Amazon itself) and any price saving from eBuyer will only be a couple of quid - not enough to justify using them after such a woeful experience.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

It depends on what you want. Over the xmas period my daughter got £58 to spend on kindle books and about £50 to spend on music/video. She and the wife would have spent the kindle money anyway and she download some music that she wouldn't have bought. This was because they did an offer where you got £3 back for each delivery instead of the usual £1.

Every item she ordered was done one order at a time to maximise the returns.

I use the same account for my stuff but I seldom get the credit as much of my stuff isn't from Amazon.

Reply to
dennis

If its amazon market place are you sire amazon are shipping it?

Reply to
dennis

On the other hand, I asked for my goods to be sent in a single package but was told no.

So my delivery came in several parts and all arrived on the same day. They came from a single warehouse.

It would have been cheaper and more convenient to send the items as a single package but, for some reason unrelated to the number of warehouses involved, they didn't.

Reply to
pamela