Amazon

I have been a fan and customer of Amazon for some considerable time. But now am having second thoughts. By the time you have paid postage they are no longer cheap. Plus I ordered an item today and the estimated delivery is between the 1st and 22nd of July, they are having a joke, I could walk to the seller and walk back in less time!

Reply to
Broadback

Are you sure it isn't something coming from China?

Reply to
Martin Brown

I've got that atm - ordered late May, eventually an e-mail said 5th - 25th June, tracking no. with RM still not recognised.

Reply to
PeterC

Is this Amazon themselves, or an Amazon marketplace seller ?

Last week I ordered a DVD from Amazon themselves as their price was competitive. Tracked delivery within

2 days. 2 days later 8.a.m. Ist email. - Your package will be delivered today . 2nd email 4 hrs later - your package has been delivered. And it had. All for a ?10 CD. I was half expecting a third email - you've now got up and are walking towards the letterbox.

michael adams

michael adams

Quite often these long delivery dates are updated within a day saying actually we'll be with you tomorrow

Reply to
stuart noble

Broadback scribbled

I bought a widget from them a couple of weeks back, it never left their warehouse for 5 days. Now had I paid for next day delivery...

You could try Dabs - they can't be arsed to tell you if stuff is out of stock.

Reply to
Jonno

Underpromise & overdeliver. I regularly get dates weeks in the future and then the stuff comes in 3 days.

Reply to
Huge

It is always worth putting the item into Google Shopping - I just bought a new multimeter - found the same model on ebay for £10 less and delivered to an Argos that is convenient to drop by.

On other occasions, Amazon is among the cheaper options - but best not take it for granted.

And I do tend to steer clear of items with whacky delivery times.

Reply to
Tim Watts

and lose customers...

I don't necessarily want quick deliveries - I want predictable deliveries, especially on large items, so I pick a day I will be in.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Often the way as they move to a middle man model from a pure vendor. Having said that though, I was quoted a long lead time on delivery a few weeks ago and it was in fact here in three days, so I guess they play safe when its a third party seller. Brian

Reply to
Brian-Gaff

The one thing I wish about Amazon is that they stop trying to flog me stuff under their Prime brand for credit and pay for internet tv. I've told them no, which bit of no do they not understand? anyway, the word Prime has another meaning for me, it was a good make of dog food when I had a dog. Brian

Reply to
Brian-Gaff

And often the same seller uses both Ebay and Amazon with a different pricing policy on the two outlets.

Reply to
alan_m

About three times now I've paid the quick delivery postage premium via Amazon (ie someone selling through them), and three times it's been slower than picking a random person on eBay and crossing my fingers.

Reply to
Scott M

Have you complained? I got refunded cost of delivery when they didn't meet the promised delivery time.

Reply to
Richard

That is almost what has happened to me, except it said the item had been despatched.

Reply to
Broadback

I let it fall into the "life's too short" category. Trying to get responses from online retailers always seems to be uphill work and I've had more demonstrable uselessness from third party UK Amazon people than any number of random sellers from Taipai, Vietnam and god-knows-where so I view them as a last resort now.

Amazon itself is generally ok.

Reply to
Scott M

Yeah, but the advantage of them being an Amazon Marketplace seller, is that if they are crap, you can complain to Amazon and should get a refund from them, I think I prefer the seller to be crap and not reply. Then I can just wait a few days, complain to amazon and get my money refunded.

Indeed

Reply to
Chris French

Amazon may be O/K, but I do not use them anymore. They will not say if Yodel are handling their deliveries. You only find out when you are texted lies about cards being left, then when goods finally get through they look like they have had a trip through a mangle.

With Ebay the vendor will usually say who the carrier is. Amazon will not.

AB

Reply to
Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp

In message , at 18:03:48 on Mon, 22 Jun

2015, michael adams remarked:

My thoughts entirely.

Sometimes Amazon is "too fast", in other words appear to be expending effort unnecessarily. I don't need something ordered at 5pm on a Saturday to be delivered at 10am Sunday (this has happened).

Yesterday got a book delivered from a marketplace seller. It had taken about a week from the order, but for 1p, p&p included, who's complaining!

Reply to
Roland Perry

In message , at 21:15:09 on Mon,

22 Jun 2015, Tim Watts remarked:

Yes, I got that recently. Was going to be out for a day so deliberately placed an order for a large electrical item (not on Amazon) at 4pm, with a confirmation that it would be dispatched "next working day". Lo and behold, the item was *delivered* at 3pm the next working day (fortunately someone was in).

Reply to
Roland Perry