Aluminium Patio Doors

I have 2 Aluminium sliding patio doors in the house installed around

1975, by the previous owners. During the recent cold spell, I have notices the cold temperature of the aluminium frame compared to the temperature of the UPVC frame in the rest of the house. Is there a wat to reduce the heat loss via the aluminium frame or Do I need to consider replcement with UPVC.
Reply to
cubicsupport

Some sort of wood covering will help, perhaps stuck on with a suitable adhesive due to the difficulties of drilling.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

My parents had the whole house done in ally sudg in 1979, had to go, the ally produces bigger puddles than the original windows.

Regards Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

A couple of thin beads of expanding polyurethane foam might work quite well as an adhesive in this case.

Reply to
John Rumm

The aluminium will always feel colder because it conducts heat away from the hand more quickly than PVC. However the heat loss through the frame might not be any more than through a PVC frame (PVC frames contain metal to strengthen them anyway) and is likely to be insignificant compared to total heat loss through the glass.

If the doors are draughty or single glazed then there may be reason to replace them on comfort grounds, but it's unlikely to make much difference economically. Interlining your curtains with bubblewrap will be cheaper.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Reply to