aluminium flashing rot?

I'm patching my roof which is slate with lead flashing and copper nails. If I use caravan aluminium for flashing is it gong to rot, (by the battery effect) when it touches the copper or lead? I know some metals are incompatible. [g]

Reply to
george [dicegeorge]

A proper chemist may come along and say different, but my experience suggests it's not likely to be a problem, I suspect because you won't get a good electrical connection because of the protective oxide.

Reply to
newshound

I would say the reverse.

Lethal.

But I am not sure.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

If there is lead there to start with why not use more lead?

Reply to
1501

lethal? how come?

I have lots of caravan aluminium for free, lead is very expensive.

[g]
Reply to
george [dicegeorge]

Sell the ali to buy the lead.

Reply to
1501

lethal for the aluminium.

so is doing it again in two years.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Look up the galvanic series on Wikipedia. The further apart the two metals are, the more reactive they are with one another.

It needs a suitable electrolyte. Rainwater would be slightly acidic and would support corrosion, but not significantly if the metals aren't immersed in standing water.

Reply to
Onetap

Probably. If you are within 20 miles of the coast the salt will get at it. Or road salt if you are near a fast busy road that is regulary treated.

Google will find you sites that say how compatible Ali is with lead or copper. But Ali is pretty reactive. I like the suggestion to sell the ali to but the lead. B-)

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Thanks, I was right to worry, Lead it will be. [g]

Reply to
george [dicegeorge]

any salt alone is enough to corrode al even when not in contact with any other metal.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher