Alternatives to a sash window

I have a sash window - approx 2000 x 1000mm - above the workbench area in the workshop. It is difficult to paint or clean on the outside being above the conservatory and I'd like to replace it with a double glazed maintenance free unit which is also easy to clean from the inside. I'm not too worried about the looks (non original) from the outside as it is at the rear of the house. I've seen some clever opening arrangements on TV but don't know where to look to see what's on offer. I'd want to install it myself so don't want a double glazing salesman.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

How about replacing with a couple of tilt or swivel units. Bog standard AFAIK & you should be able to get them from any DG manufacturers.

Don.

Reply to
Cerberus .

Scottish Building Regs require all (or all above a certain height) windows to be cleanable from the inside.

Traditional sash windows can be made cleanable from inside, one of the retaining beads is unscrewed at the bottom and the lower sash can then swing inwards, supported by screw hinge-brackets on the other retaining bead. The upper sash can then be slid down and cleaned by leaning out over the top of it, or traditionally by sitting on the window sill with legs inside the house and torso outside.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Sounds a right faff. ;-) And a bit awkward in this case because of the fixed workbench below it. What I'd really like is something that looks roughly like the existing sash at first glance but opens every which way through some clever mechanism.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

try these altho are upvc... we had some in last house, they look OK (from a distance quite good) and you can tilt both sashes inwards to clean

jim

Reply to
jim

PVC is fine - other windows at the back are that - and it looks like just what I'm after. Thanks.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)