Alternatives for mortar for fixing ridge tiles?

Hi all,

I'm resigning myself to having to fix the ridge tiles myself ... is mortar the only thing to use, or is there any alternative which is easier to work with (I'm brilliant with electrics, good with plumbing, OK with wood, but brickwork is my bete noir - I'm more hopeless than you'd believe)

Thanks in advance

Reply to
Jethro

A house near me was recently extended and you can see that yellow expanding foam has been used in place of the traditional mortar along the gable end tiles and the ridge tile. I can't see if it has been used to fix the whole ridge, but can't see why not. But I wouldn't say the foam is easier to work with, but you don't have to mix it first ! HTH, Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

It is hardly hard to use mortar.

Forget trowels, and use your hands. Yup they get screwed, but skin regrows.

Brush of excess when half set (about 3 hours in summer, a day or so in winter).

Use wire brush gently to clean any mess, and brick acid and water to wash of any cement mess you leave.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

not an option, without gloves for me. I have psoriasis :-(

Reply to
Jethro

If that's an "approved" approach, I may try it. I'm not a bodge- merchant, but am aware sometimes that doing things "because it's always been done like that" isn't always the best approach.

Classic example was laying paving slabs with the Father in Law. He insisted on 5 dabs of cement, but reading Comacs site, and speaking to younger builders convinced me it wasn't the best way.

Reply to
Jethro

Did mine maybe 10 years ago now, just be liberal with PVA on both tiles and in cement and you end up with something that sticks like sh*t.

Reply to
Ian_m

just raw PVA - no diluting it ?

Reply to
Jethro

That's what I'd do as well

Reply to
Stuart Noble

It has to be painted. It's nor weather or UV proof or something.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

Many people get skin reactions to various of the chemicals in cement. At least use a barrier cream (£1 from the chemist), and preferably gloves, unless you know you can handle mortar without any issues. Skin conditions are much quicker to pick up than to get rid of.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I find rubbing vinegar on afterwards helps.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Isn't that what brickies used to do to harden your skin??

Reply to
Tony

No diluted in ratio of what ever it says on the tin for bonding cement.

Reply to
Ian_m