Alternative to Torx drivers

I need to replace the window regulator on my car and found instructions on the net on how to do this. Apparently a need a T30 Torx driver, which I haven't got. Can I use anything else instead e.g. an allen key or a screwdriver?

Reply to
Wesley

Haven`t recently reponded to a survey by Focus DIY by any chance? ;-)

Torx is specifically incompatible with hex keys and a screwdriver will mince the head, get the proper tool, or a hex drive insert bit for a couple of quid and save having to drill a high tensile bolt out after.

Cheers Adam

Reply to
Adam Aglionby

I bought one of those 'mini socket' sets on a street market., A fiver or summat. Full set of torcs inside.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

3.32 GBP Toolstation

Adam Aglionby

No. but at torx are becoming quite common you will likely want to use the tool again.

Reply to
Michael Chare

yes but you will bu**er up the head.

Reply to
Rick Hughes

notice more and more ... that manufacturers got wise to Joe public having Torx tools and now often see Torx with a centre hole ... sometimes sold as security Torx screws.

Reply to
Rick Hughes

Depends how tight it is. A well fitting flat blade screwdriver will sometimes do. But T30 is quite large so probably too tight.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Don't think Torx are used for security - they are excellent at holding the screw on the tool and taking high torque.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

If you are doing the window regulator on a MK4 golf be very careful when removing the door locking mechanism. I bought a Torx set from ebay for around a fiver, as others have mentioned you will defiantly need it. Good luck!

Tom

Reply to
Tom

In article , Dave Plowman (News) scribeth thus

There is a security Torx I'm looking at some now!. Like Torx but with a hole in the middle. Some might describe that as security.. Some might not!...

Reply to
tony sayer

Well they are sold as security torx - but you can easily buy bits with a hole in the middle such as

Robin

And very easily to undo :-

- £4.47 for a set of 32 bits, including Torx with centre holes.

Reply to
Mike Clarke

If your short of the bit , lot of times can snap the centre out of the fastener with a screwdiver.

Cheers Adam

Reply to
Adam Aglionby

In message , tony sayer writes

Some might describe them as a PITA, Panasonic use them on their dome cameras, I normally change them for crossheads. Not many bad guys bother unscrewing the cameras, they just smash them.

Reply to
Bill

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Tom" saying something like:

"Hey Torx, I fart in your general direction!", kind of thing?

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Oh indeed. Although surely it's the driver which has the hole?

What I meant was that the original Torx weren't intended as security devices. Unless the starter motor on my SD1 - and seats - are particularly valuable. ;-) Just a better drive than allen at the same head size.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

So go to the shop and buy one, then you'll have one.

They're not expensive. Treat yourself and buy a decent interchangeable hex bit driver and set of bits. T30 is dead common, there will be one in there.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

I think he meant "defiantly use it".

Reply to
Gib Bogle

Torx were designed for automatic insertion machinery on robotic assembly lines.

Reply to
Huge