Alternative to slate packing?

I'm finding it hard to get hold of some slate to pack up to a beam - what's generally accepted as an alternative to slate?

Reply to
Quiggles

Tile, tin, tufa.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

I get mine from a local salvage yard - I just wander in with a cardboard box which I then fill with broken slates; there's always plenty lying around near the pallets of reclaimed tiles. I don't get charged - after all, I'm just cleaning up mess!

David

Reply to
Lobster

~~~~

I read that as "tofu".

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Ordinary tile may well let damp across, slate won't. Part of the function of slate packing is to be a damp proof layer between the timber and stonework. This may or may not be an issue but worth bearing in mind.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Plus it may crush under load.

David

Reply to
Lobster

I had to do some packing on my timber frame - artificial slate is accepted by building regs, I just asked my roofing tile supplier who he recently sold this to (Redland Cambrian)... and went and picked up a load of the off cuts.

Reply to
Osprey