Alternative to polyurethane varnish?

I wish to apply a hard-wearing protective coat over a white base coat. In the past I have used polyurethane gloss but this gives a distinct yellow cast to the white colour.
I want the finish to be hard, glossy, chip-proof, child friendly and, above all, as close to transparent as possible so that the surface appears white.
Any suggestions please?
--
Geoff Beale
Extract digit to email.
Geoff Beale wrote:

Ronseal and others do clear water based acrylics. This seems to stay clear under even UV. I'd try one of theirs. It ISN'T as tough as polyurethane.
Why not go to a two pack white marine epoxy paint? If white is what you want.

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

An excellent suggestion. Although single pot types are also tough enough for this job, and a fair bit cheaper. The punishment my boat takes really shows in the varnish, but the paint does not discolour, chip or peel. It only gets gouged when dragged about due to the relatively soft surface of the underlying ply.
This type of paint is very glossy.
--
Toby.

Water-based acrylic varnish is not yellowish. Possibly not quite as tough or lusterous as polyuretahne either, but still fairly good in dry areas.
W.

Woodspoiler wrote in message ...

tear. There are hard acrylics but they need high temperatures during the application and drying to achieve clarity, so they're pretty much restricted to professional finishing setups. As a replacement for polyurethane, Rustins Liquid Plastic or their 2 pack floor varnish are both rock hard and water clear.
Thanks for the ideas guys.
--
Geoff Beale
Extract digit to email.

I seem to remember that the instructions for Rustins state that you can only apply it to the bare wood. It might work over the white base coat just as well, though. One other suggestion is something like Chestnut acrylic lacquer, it's supposed to be nearly as hard as AC lacquer. Would probably need a sealer coat between it and the white base.
Marcel
On 18 Dec 2003 01:04:24 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@languagewise.com (Marcel Jansen) wrote:

It works over shellac, or over oil (IMHE - YMMV). If you apply it over most paints, or anything that's film-forming or has a high solids content, it lifts off in layers.
-- Smert' spamionam
Are we talking Liquid Plastic here, or floor varnish, or both?
--
Geoff Beale
Extract digit to email.

Floorcoat - of the Liquid Plastic family of acid-cure formaldehydes -- Smert' spamionam