Alternative to polyurethane varnish?

I wish to apply a hard-wearing protective coat over a white base coat. In the past I have used polyurethane gloss but this gives a distinct yellow cast to the white colour.

I want the finish to be hard, glossy, chip-proof, child friendly and, above all, as close to transparent as possible so that the surface appears white.

Any suggestions please?

Reply to
Geoff Beale

Ronseal and others do clear water based acrylics. This seems to stay clear under even UV. I'd try one of theirs. It ISN'T as tough as polyurethane.

Why not go to a two pack white marine epoxy paint? If white is what you want.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Water-based acrylic varnish is not yellowish. Possibly not quite as tough or lusterous as polyuretahne either, but still fairly good in dry areas.

W.

base coat.

distinct

friendly and,

surface

Reply to
Woodspoiler

An excellent suggestion. Although single pot types are also tough enough for this job, and a fair bit cheaper. The punishment my boat takes really shows in the varnish, but the paint does not discolour, chip or peel. It only gets gouged when dragged about due to the relatively soft surface of the underlying ply.

This type of paint is very glossy.

Reply to
Toby

Clear acrylics are soft, with virtually no resistance to mechanical wear and tear. There are hard acrylics but they need high temperatures during the application and drying to achieve clarity, so they're pretty much restricted to professional finishing setups. As a replacement for polyurethane, Rustins Liquid Plastic or their 2 pack floor varnish are both rock hard and water clear.

Reply to
stuart noble

Thanks for the ideas guys.

Reply to
Geoff Beale

"stuart noble" to professional finishing setups.

I seem to remember that the instructions for Rustins state that you can only apply it to the bare wood. It might work over the white base coat just as well, though. One other suggestion is something like Chestnut acrylic lacquer, it's supposed to be nearly as hard as AC lacquer. Would probably need a sealer coat between it and the white base.

Marcel

Reply to
Marcel Jansen

It works over shellac, or over oil (IMHE - YMMV). If you apply it over most paints, or anything that's film-forming or has a high solids content, it lifts off in layers.

-- Smert' spamionam

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Are we talking Liquid Plastic here, or floor varnish, or both?

Reply to
Geoff Beale

Floorcoat - of the Liquid Plastic family of acid-cure formaldehydes

-- Smert' spamionam

Reply to
Andy Dingley