Alternative to junction box under floor

Contrary to what it says, I don't believe it conforms to the regs. There's nothing crimped, soldered, or brazed about the connection (at least, as far as I can see in the picture).

It looks to me like someone just misunderstood that screwed connections are not permitted. Screwed connection would however be a damn sight more reliable. You can't get a gas-tight (corrosion resistant) contact using a spring terminal, and you definitely don't want an inaccessible spring terminal.

The most accepted method is to use crimps. I have used a regular screw terminal junction box and then soldered the terminals too, but this is only suitable if you are good and competent at soldering.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Do the regs specifically state that such connections must be crimped, soldered or brazed?

Just curious. I don't have a copy to hand at the mo...!

I agree that spring-type ones (as used in some electroliers) are pretty awful.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Agreed, poxy things. Lots of light fittings have them now alas.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

What about standard junction box under one of these:

still need to lift the carpet but no need to remove the skirting.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew

What problems have you had with them?

Reply to
fred

>>> £2.95 + VAT. Looks perfect - cheers.

. . .

But you can't get crimps to make a T-junction (as noted earlier). And soldering in a junction box seems risky as the largish copper (brass?) terminals will require significant heating, which could easily weaken/damage the the plastic supporting them.

Steve (OP)

Reply to
Steve