Alternative to GG

I found by accident a reasonably decent looking web front end for access to usenet the other day.

Since I have been getting reports of google groups being more borked than usual, I thought it might be of use to some:

John Rumm

Google Groups decided a month or so ago to force users to subscribe to Google+ and without telling anybody. Everything continued to work as usual except that my posts never arrived anywhere. I sent them a few error reports and never got a reply. So stuff them. I will avoid Google products where possible. By the way, Google list about 50 products, and Google Groups is not one of them.

You can probably see what I am using now to post to Usenet. It is much better than Google ever was.

Reply to
MattyF

Mmm checked that out before. Checking again & it still seems to lag behind even, cough spit, gg ?

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

Seems to be at least 12 hours behind.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Is there some prejudice against a client, or is the issue one of wanting it mobile etc. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I just tried to post after signing up and the site stopped me until I verif ied my account. So I went to look in the inbox used and then the other sections of it and f inally the spam bin. Guess what I don't have.

Google has become apalling recently but there is one good thing the only on e. If you have a thread you would like to post to that has past its sell by date, you can now reply to it.

The bad thing mitigating that is the links in the Google groups posts are a ll shortened to fit in with some whizz kid's brilliant idea a couple of yea rs back. Now they won't open.

Google is all for change and not one to let little things like munging stop them. Still it was nice up to a year or so back. No more free ride by the look of it. (Looks like they no longer mung urls. Just the whole rest of th e posts when replying. Sad or what?)

The trouble now is that I don't know how to sign on with a professional acc ess site such as the one everyone on uk.sci.weather uses: berlin.de or some thing.

Got it:

I suppose there is always Virgin's access?

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

On google? You nummy.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

Doh!

I just found out how to see the original.

How do I work out this conundrum:

Welcome as a new user of news.eternal-september.org You have successfully registered as a user of the news.eternal-september.org Usenet news server.

As a registered user you may now access all newsgroups and post articles to these groups.

Please configure your newsreader to access

news.eternal-september.org

The port number is 119. This is the standard port number for news servers and should be set as a default in your client. You also have to configure your client to use the userid and password you will soon receive by email. If you are only able to select groups in the

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

I'm not using Google, and I assume that you are not using Google either. So why did you mention Google?

Reply to
MattyF

On Saturday 18 January 2014 09:53 Weatherlawyer wrote in uk.d-i-y:

I am firmly convinced that USENET/GG is where Google put all their new engineers (as they call them) to dick around before they let them loose on anything important!

How hard is it, in Google's grand scheme, to make a nice, simple, flexible interface to USENET and archive all the posts forever and reliably? It's nothing compared to the scale of some of their other products.

Dammit - they can still monetise it with Ads.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Oh, that's a good idea. That's what I will do when I leave college. Get a couple of friends with poor hygiene and bad diets to join me and put together something like that. Or just buy a going concern that hasn't thought about free advertising...

Then when I want them all to f*ck off in 2014, I will just mung the service to blazes.

Oh wait. It's 2014... Shit! What's the number for the CIA ...or has that been replaced by somebody more reliable these days?

***

Needs a good cache phase. What can we have? Softly softly cachy lusers?

Here no adverts...?

***

"Hello is that the.."

"CIA? Yes... Well... Sort of"

"Oh; hello. My name's..."

"Weatherlawyer? Yes we know."

"Oh. OK. I was wondering... if..."

"We had a good internet archival database you could use.. cheap?"

"Errr... ummm... errrr... well, as a matter of fact yes...errrr errrmmmm... me and Brian Gaff, Tim watts anaaagh... wait! Just a minute..."

"How did we know you were going to ask that? Everybody says that."

"Ungh! Errrr.. OK then... um have y..."

"Just the thing. It used to be called Google Groups.."

"Uh. Uh. OK. Uh..."

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

Oh; I was right first time. Hello brother.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

Let me just make it clear that I have absolutely no idea about the personal, private habits of anyone on this newsgroup.

(Apart from Matty F being a bit slow on the uptake, that is.)

((I know quite a bit about an imbecile called Dawlish on uk.sci.weather and one unfortunate habit that may affect the oral hygiene of the chap called Skywise on sci.geo.earthquakes but that is neither here nor there as far as this group is concerned.))

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

/Q

do you grow your own or bulk buy?

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

In the what?

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Maybe there is a little bloke who pops in after his jogging and presses the update button. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Well, Virgin seems quite low on retention to me. I've got three free ones, but I've yet to find a way I can integrate them so for example if a message is not on one it comes in from another server. It seems the indexing is purely local to a server. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I think leafnode can do that sort of thing, never tried it though ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Bring back dejanews. Someone ought to.

Reply to
Mark

Thankfully I don't often need to use it, but it does make one wonder. As a whole, the company manages to achieve some amazing stuff, yet their interface with the usenet archive seems to get worse with each iteration.

I find it hard to believe that they are doing it deliberately, but can't fathom how little they seem to understand about how it now appears to users.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon