Alternative materials for kitchen worktop?

Pete,

Of COURSE a Belfast sink is desirable - you can get a bucket in it and under the taps - you can get large bits of engine and other car bits in it to wash them - how can you wash your wellies without them - very practical but be blowed to the 'designer style' angle that's just for insecure wimps who have to follow other peoples ideas

Andrew Mawson

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Hey, Pete! If you already had 2 round sink bowls, forget about any other bowls! Just grab that packet (750 g size) of Crunchy Nut and a litre of ice-cold milk and tuck in, yer at yer aunties! By the way, everyone should try the Tesco's Honey Nut with cranberry pieces and yoghurt-flavoured cornflakes. This stuff is darned expensive, but it is utterly delicious. Especially good when served 50/50 with Crunchy Nut. I don't think those 2 round sink bowls are going to be enough. Maybe the Belfast sink after all...

MM

Reply to
Mike Mitchell

Agreed though I think I'd get into *SERIOUS* trouble if I tried to wash large engine parts in any sort of sink...

It's the under mounting that is the stupid "designer style" thing. If you just had it open with an hand operated pump at one end a proper hard wood drainer the other it would be fine. B-)

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

It works very well if you have a granite worktop. In our utility room, we had some grooves machined in the worktop next to the sink - same thing with one of the kitchen sinks. THis means that it will act as a draining area but also as more worktop area when needed. Anything being disposed off can be swept easily and directly into the sink without it having to go over a lip and pieces being caught.

I don't think that I would attempt an undermounted sink with any other form of worktop - definitely not laminated particleboard and I think that even natural wood is probably marginal especially since two sides will be end grain. I suppose one can face those with lipping, but that is not easy if the inside corners are curved.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall