Alternative appliance hose valve

A while ago js.b1 asked about using a Pegler ¼ turn valve for a washing machine inlet hose. Having had numerous failures of the conventional type -- including one where the handle broke to a sharp point and penetrated my thumb, and another that broke when a lodger turned it in such a way that the valve didn't turn all the way off but the handle looked like it had and in addition leaked out of the gland, I decided I'd had enough of them.

Here's a picture of the new arrangement: . The fitting at the top is a Flowflex 15mm compression to ¾? male coupler (Screwfix quote number 82086). I don't suppose the brand matters, but it was the only one I could find from somewhere that had all the other bits I wanted to order at that point, so I thought it worth posting here in case anyone else wants to repeat the arrangement.

Overkill, perhaps, but at least it's easy to turn!

Reply to
Jón Fairbairn

Yeah, I had to buy a couple of them the other day. The new kitchen tap=20 has those horrid flexi hoses, and they just wouldn't seal onto the=20 isolation valve - too sharp a lip which kept slipping outside the rubber=20 washer on the hose.

I can't stand those hoses - the flow rate through the tiny sort (8mm?)=20 is pathetic. =20

--=20 Skipweasel - never knowingly understood.

Reply to
Skipweasel

I must be missing something here. The only time we ever turn those little washing machine valves is when we buy a new machine, or have a problem. Why do you want to turn the thing more often?

Mike

Reply to
MuddyMike

I bought exactly the same for my parents a couple of years ago (except not Peglar), although my dad actually installed it. Previously (different location), there was a standard brass stop c*ck, but it always started leaking from the shaft after a year or so of frequent operation. The full bore valve has thus far remained leak-free and easy to turn. They can cease up if you don't operate them for a while though.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I don't want to. We had to turn it off each time when going away because the inlet valve on the machine was weeping. The first attempt was when it stabbed my finger. It wasn't worth replacing the valve becacuse for some reason the hot fill valve was ludicrously expensive and the machine was old; on its last legs, it turned out. The lodger had to turn it off for the same reason, then the machine failed completely and when the replacement arrived, the valve handle broke. That was enough.

Reply to
Jón Fairbairn

Obviously, but I've yet to see a decent one; even the £6 ones have plastic handles. A web search turns up one (from who knows what supplier) with a metal handle.

What I have now is a decent valve.

Reply to
Jón Fairbairn

thread, so I would have to use the same arrangement as I have now, just with a -- possibly better, though the RS one is a gate valve, and I've not been impressed with their ability to close off after a few years -- different valve. I'm not advocating the use of a particular valve, just the use of an arrangement with a non-washing-machine valve and a

15mm to ¾? coupler. (which also allows one to put clips both sides of the valve, avoiding another problem with washing machine valves)
Reply to
Jón Fairbairn

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember harry saying something like:

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon